Nuts about knots

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Hi,

I was in the New Forest a couple of weekends ago and had a go at the Siberian Hitch and the Trucker's Hitch (Cinch Knot). I've also worked out the Tautline Hitch. What beautiful simple knots. And what a sense of achievement at mastering them. Just learning practical skills for free. I actually feel more manly. I know it's stupid but being out in nature and using skills for practical purposes feels damn good!

Is there any other knot(s) you'd recommend as essential for securing tarps and/or a hammock?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I'd say the prussic knot and the constrictor knot are good ones to start with and then work on your quick releases. The best one I've used is a ray mears one you can find it if you search tarp setup on youtube then look for the ray mears one. You pass the rope around the tree, then having both parts of the rope in the palm of your left hand take the working end and wrap it around your hand once, then point your left hand down then up and pull a loop from the working end through and there you are.....TA DA!!!!

Ray explainns it a lot better than me as i've been at work since 7am this morning and not been in long!!

Dave

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Dave, that's the Siberian Hitch you've explained. The first one I attempted. Lovely knot. Have been boring my colleagues, customers and friends with demonstrations all week.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Hey it's most definatly not something to feel stupid about, I really recomend this site for knot tutorials, it' great fun.

That is a brilliant site. Very simple to use and it's now an app for iPhone! I did notice that some of the knot names don't correspond to what they are generally called elsewhere though. The Trucker's knot and the Tautline Hitch for instance. I suppose there are regional differences.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yeah, i think some names are different across the pond too. but as you say the tutorials are great, it just takes a little searching around, i think it's better if you look for the perpose instead of the name. I hope they do a Blackberry app in the futcher.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Is there any other knot(s) you'd recommend as essential for securing tarps and/or a hammock?

You've made a good start with those two, well done.
In essence you need:-
a knot to secure a line,
a knot to hold a line tight,
a knot that offers adjustment
and finaly a means of hanking your cord so it stays tidy in your pack and is ready to deploy as soon as you want it to.

Whilst there are recommendations or favourites, the one you choose is up to you.
Here are a few names of knots for different purposes, have a lookat them in the animated knots site and see if any take your fancy....

Securing knots - Evenk or Siberian hitch, bowline, round-turn-and -two-half-hitches, Figure Eight Loop, Overhand Loop.

Tightening knots - Tautline hitch, Power cinch, Truckers or Wagonners hitch

Adjusting knots - Prussic, Adjustable Guy Hitch.

Most knots can be modified to make them "Slippery!" meaning that they end in a slip knot and allow for easy undoing.
Knots can be great fun, but be prepared to spend hours practicing.

ATB

Ogri the trog

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hey it's most definatly not something to feel stupid about,...
I'd agree wholeheartedly with that.

Ogri has hit the nail square on the head with the above advice!

As a boy going to sea, I was given a thorough grounding in rope-work. It was neither easy nor the dawdle it sounds, when you consider that the tutors were all retired Skippers, some of whom had gone to sea at a frighteningly early age. You can imaging they weren't the easiest of men to please.

Whenever I think of Cap'n Reggie Lines, I remember trying to get to grips with splicing wire, my trembling soft, pink fingers scraped, bruised and bleeding. And then there were his navigation and math classes :yikes: It was fear of Reggie Lines that produced results no high school math teacher ever managed to get.
The words "Don't you cross my bows, lad!" come to mind.

The library contained the tome, "Blackwell's Knots, Bends, Hitches, Whippings and Splices" which I longed to get my hands on. Alas, it was a revered 1st Edition and we were only allowed to view it under supervision... and definitely not allowed to touch. I'd love to get my hands on it now!

Usage of ropes has come from a working environment to a leisure environment and in the transition many of the names have almost been lost. Organisations from Scout Groups to climbing and sailing clubs have taught knots and very often traditional names have gone by the wayside. The internet now brings names from many different languages and cultures into our living rooms. I've seen the same knot repeated under different names in the same book!

An American I worked with told me the Bowline was a good old Texas Cattleman's knot.
I said I thought a cow had horns, which didn't amuse him. But that shows where a concept can change in a culture with different needs. The same Texan taught me a knot he called a Bridle-hitch, for securing a horse to a post. It's the same knot I've heard referred to as a the Siberian Hitch, a name I can only imagine coming into English through Bushcraft and would be surprised if named as such in Siberia.

Usage also changes in the absence of old wisdom, I was taught the Sheep-shank but was also told that it was an unreliable knot, unsafe for use under tension. It's usage was mainly for applying tension to prevent things from moving rather than for tensioning down a load on a truck. Consequently, it's a knot I rarely use, as it isn't easy to deploy in a confined space like a canoe and there are safer knots to use on roof-racks!

You might say that the name doesn't matter, but in a lot of cases the old name actually tells you something about the knot, it's construction or how it behaves, which is probably part of transferring wisdom. It does matter to me, as I see this knowledge as something that has come down to us through our entire maritime history, although I was thrilled to see a post with a natural fibre rope tied in a clove hitch from a Neolithic house found at Federsee in Germany, proving a long and very respectable relationship between man and rope!

Unfortunately, that tradition is being broken in a far more terminal way today, the use of knots and splices being frowned upon as HSE rules and regulations widen and are applied more stringently.

There was a time not so long ago when working men used to regularly compete and play puzzle games with rope and twine. They used to say that 2 Riggers with a bit string could entertain each other for hours on end, but you'd have to look a bit harder these days to find a Rigger under 40 years of age who can tie a decent knot.

Knots... love em!

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Have to confess I am dyspraxic and never got the hang of formal knots, but (k)not for want of trying, but there is something in my brain that rebels and in effect gets tied up in knots about knots.

My policy these days is to figure out what I want to do, and see if it works, if (as usually happens) it comes adrift, I have to put another twist or whatever in it, and if eventually it holds, well then I have done what is needed. Now that might seem a bit primitive, a bit defeatist a bit whatever, but if you figure it, every knot that got there, got there by the same process of experimentation - lets try this twist, this bend and see if it holds.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
In addition to Ogri's list, I would include a couple of knots that let you join two or more ropes/cords together. For these I would generally opt for a sheet bend (or double sheet bend, which is a bit more secure) or even a double fisherman's knot, which is commonly used by the mountaineering fraternity. I use the latter in making up loops for tying prussics.

Another hitch I have been using is a buntline hitch, but with a loop for easier release, as it is a knot that will jam under heavy load. The falconer's hitch is another nice one, easy to tie and release.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE