Numpty's on the Loch; Campers face £500 fines for breaking Bonnie Banks ban

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Ive parked in the huge layby just before Millochay bay about a mile past Balmaha and got a couple of tickets, they said i had parked on an uban clearway and that was illegal, i wrote to chief inspector kevin finlater pointing out a layby isnt an urban clearway and the only law covering that is that you cant sell anything in a layby beside an unban clearway.

Shock horror he actually set up a working committee, with both the police and council to look at the problem and they found in my favour, no tickets since. good on him!, plus they posted A4 notices in plastic sleeves on gates and fences to tell people that they would be fined if they parked on that section of road, who can see a rain smudged notice a mile ahead of where they park, well out of order.

But in summer time it is a nightmare up the east side with people parking on the side of a narrow road, locals and emergency services cant get by them properly, but my ticket was in january and february, who they kidding on with that stunt.

But as i say, i think this is a move using this excuse to stop camping from mainly the neds, as they cant stop us in Scotland camping where we choose with our laws of " F R E E D O M".

Colin

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
As bushcrafters perhaps we have the ability to find more exclusive playgrounds. There's the rest of Scotland to get out and about in. A wee hike of a few miles up a river from any loch results in nothing more threatening to see than blackface sheep.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Whilst i agree this problem has to stop,and those caught defacing property,cutting down living tree's,leaving rubbish everwhere,etc
etc should be prosecuted, i do think banning camping a step backward's, its like someone posted, the problem will move elsewhere then that place will get a ban and so on.It could also have the effect of someone just bivi'ing for the night,no fire no damage receiving a 500quid fine for sleeping in the wrong place,hit those that are causing the damage hard and make publicised examples of them as a lesson to others.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The National Park authority's research showed that the problem campers were no more than 29 metres from their vehicle. The proposed exclusion zone only extends to about 500m on each side of the road.

I think the intention of the Land Reform Act was to allow lightweight camping in wild country. I wish these restrictions weren't necessary but the current level of misuse is not sustainable.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
urban clearway
Urban clearway, that's the chappie.
Tiny round signs on huge great posts. They sprung up all over the place.
The layby I miss most is the one at the start of the straight after cashel campsite. That was a cracker for winters day canoe trips.

I hate to attempt to inject anything positive but it will make the east shore of loch lomond a nicer place.
I like the place. I've stomped, ridden and paddled around it for half my life.

Places like Sallochy Bay always had a problem, anywhere you put a carpark will have a problem. The next hotspots will be next carparks you come to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE