Now THIS is a walk!

Ouch, sore feet ahead...

SamsMap-2.jpg

From...

http://www.theinitiativesite.com/

Kit Lists and Journal are interesting, think he's being very ambitious / naive to suggest doing it in a year, that's and average of 35 miles / day, including winter walking in fresh snow.
Good luck to him though.

seems a bit silly to take airplanes the hops from one trail to the other are quite small ( compared to the trail length that is ;) ) if you change the order of the trails and direction of one trail

ie start at the finish point App south to north North trail as is continental trail north south Pacific trail south north to finish

ATB

Duncan

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I think it will take him 2 or 3 years. I dont think its possible to walk everyday without a rest for a year.

Also, if he is planning 35 miles per day, he will not enjoy the scenary or have a good time, and I think that is more important (to me anyway).

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Good luck to him, I doubt he'll get through it in one year, hopefully he won't give up when it becomes clear that this will be the case. Its the journey that is important, not the schedule or destination. :)

E

ex member coconino

Some folks I know who cycled around the world averaged 83 miles a day (counting active days, they didn't ride every day) and covered 13,500 miles in about 9 months (arrived back in London last Feb). This walk would cover broadly similar varieties of terrain, so I agree that it seems unlikely this guy will keep that rate up and even less likely he'll do it in a year. Whatever, he'll have an adventure.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I've done a small section of the pacific crest trail. The altitude reached in some sections had me almost crawling, it felt like I was taking one step forward and one step back constantly, I think i managed about 8-10 miles a day on the highest section.

I hope he manages to complete at least one walk before re-assesing the plan

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Very ambitious! Good luck to him, I may have to go back to bed as I'm getting tired just thinking about it:D
The starting route is the longest and in the worst of winter too. I think a year to do it all is very optimistic.
Well worth watching to see how he makes out.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Even if he only completes one of the four, he will have accomplished a lot. And if he does all four, regardless of how long it takes, he will have done something to be very proud of.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
That is some walk . good luck to him , but 35 mile a day consistently you would need a rest day evrey 7-10 days.
From the age of 17-27 i backpacked around scotland 3 or 4 times a year ,1 or 2 weeks at a time .
i allways wanted to go and walk the appalachian trail but never had the time or the money, and now my knees would let me down.

2181 miles at 35 a day is just over 2 months most do it in 5-7 months . good luck!

Craig....................

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
That is some walk. I hope he has done several 200 mile plus walks before he takes that on. Would be one adventure, that's for sure would cost you a fair bit as well, once you add up all your expenses as you are not working for 2 years (or more?). Nice idea though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE