Now`s The "time"

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
It`s time now for all you aspiring bushcrafters to do the the test,out you go and find your ANTS nest they will be absolutly full with eggs.for protein A1+ for taste super just a hint of suger,with tiny bit of butter,mixed in with some penny buns,or girrolla in th pan over the fire,with a piece or two of home made garlic bread,for your desert you can pick some bilberries as now should be out not in mases, but small and sweet,cappi
.............................................................................................

this has been added as some people in the forum think that it`s not on, to test you mind body in the bush by tasting the ant egg,common sense is needed if it is protected do not eat it,but hey i thought you all had the sense,enjoy natures delights,any problem with what egg to taste get in touch with,toddy,british red,or mace242 for guidence on the law,

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Aren't they a protected species? (in Germany at least)

But the recipe sounds delicous

yo! my man long time no speak, no not protected and you must try it hey it`s living off the land,big kiss chow,cappi
HE WHO DARES WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was over the burn having a wander yesterday morning and dislodged a chunk of sandstone as I tripped down the bank........and unearthed an ants nest full of eggs. They looked frantic as they scurried about in the sunshine trying to hide them, so I gently replaced the stone.

Some ants here are protected species, such as the Scottish wood ant,

cheers,
Toddy

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
I was over the burn having a wander yesterday morning and dislodged a chunk of sandstone as I tripped down the bank........and unearthed an ants nest full of eggs. They looked frantic as they scurried about in the sunshine trying to hide them, so I gently replaced the stone.

Some ants here are protected species, such as the Scottish wood ant,

cheers,
Toddy

harvesting is the name of the game,once or twice a year is ok and good for the eco system,after all this is a bush craft forum,cappi

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cappi, there are ants and there are ants.

In the UK at least, some are protected species.
Good food or not, we don't harvest them.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Both the Scottish and Southern Wood ant as well as the Hairy Wood ants are on the Habitats and Rare Priority and Protected Species (HaRPPS) species list. This means they are protected through legislation and / or policy.

So unless you have a little more knowledge than identifying an "ant" you are likely to find yourself breaking the law as well as contributing to the destruction of an endanhgered species.

I'm sure that none of the members of the forum are stupid enough or selfish enough to do thisin the UK where the protection applies (I know similar protections apply in other countries)

Red

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
OK THIS COULD GO ON FOREVER YES NO YES NO,PLANTS certain plants are protected,tree ,example the BULLRUSH ,BUT HAY we all use it to eat to survive,to start fire to insulate us in the autem /winter what i said was to al those who enjoy and would like to learn the skills and way to survive in the bush is to go out and experiance the the taste as one day it could be the difference,protected or not,cappi

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Both the Scottish and Southern Wood ant as well as the Hairy Wood ants are on the Habitats and Rare Priority and Protected Species (HaRPPS) species list. This means they are protected through legislation and / or policy.

So unless you have a little more knowledge than identifying an "ant" you are likely to find yourself breaking the law as well as contributing to the destruction of an endanhgered species.

I'm sure that none of the members of the forum are stupid enough or selfish enough to do thisin the UK where the protection applies (I know similar protections apply in other countries)

Red

THEY ARE PROTECTED BECAUSE THEIR HABITAT IS BEING DESTROYED,NOT ONE PERSON LIVING IN THE BUSH NEEDING FOOD TO SURVIVE,HARVESTING ACTUALLY INCREASES EGG PRODUCTION,CAPPI

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm sure it tastes a bit like Condor <sigh>

cappi - I do not wish to know you if you needlessly kill protected species - that is not what bushcraft is about for me

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cappi it would be appreciated if you would stop shouting at us.

Frankly I doubt that the harvesting actually increases egg production, surely there must be some sort of limit on the egg laying queen.

Bullrush (greater reedmace) is a common plant around here, I've even got it growing in my garden pond :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Cappi it would be appreciated if you would stop shouting at us.

Frankly I doubt that the harvesting actually increases egg production, surely there must be some sort of limit on the egg laying queen.

Bullrush (greater reedmace) is a common plant around here, I've even got it growing in my garden pond :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

make sure you look after it then no fire ,no insulation,no eating the root after cooking for the starch,this is bushcraft,a way of living off the land,not murdering billions of ants!

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
I'm sure it tastes a bit like Condor <sigh>

cappi - I do not wish to know you if you needlessly kill protected species - that is not what bushcraft is about for me

Red

I have spent most of my life protecting life, people like you so you can get a good nights sleep,this is a bushcraft forum which carries a broad spectrum, within bush craft is the survival element, when i go out for one week or two i take nothing except bread mix,everything else is sort from the land,when i return i am healthy,too many people think the craft is, tent up, book out, fire lit, shopping from tescos on the fire,well for me it`s not i have spent most of my adult life teaching and surviving in this situation,i take offence at your comment,as it is uncalled for,but i also understand that some people have never truly lived bushcraft!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We live in a small and rather crowded island Cappi. Most of us do get out and about, and most of us forage within reason within the seasons. Many on the forum also hunt and fish. However, even they have to be aware of the restrictions upon them here.

Bread is called the staff of life, it can make surviving very simple indeed. A wise choice to take with you since it assures you of food.even if your foraging or hunting is scanty.
I can't eat it though, so I will take something else. Others take what they choose based on their lifestyles and expectations.
That doesn't mean they aren't competent bushcrafters.Simply practical people.

cheers,
Toddy

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I have spent most of my life protecting life, people like you so you can get a good nights sleep,this is a bushcraft forum which carries a broad spectrum, within bush craft is the survival element, when i go out for one week or two i take nothing except bread mix,everything else is sort from the land,when i return i am healthy,too many people think the craft is, tent up, book out, fire lit, shopping from tescos on the fire,well for me it`s not i have spent most of my adult life teaching and surviving in this situation,i take offence at your comment,as it is uncalled for,but i also understand that some people have never truly lived bushcraft!

If you break the law when you really don't have to you're not being a bushcrafter, or practicing bushcraft or survival skills. You are being a criminal - nothing more, nothing less.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
make sure you look after it then no fire ,no insulation,no eating the root after cooking for the starch,this is bushcraft,a way of living off the land,not murdering billions of ants!

I've been murdering billions of them, i have them from the railway down the back right through my garden, toilet, utility room, kitchen, dining room, living room, front garden all the way to the main road outside the house. Its like that film zulu, i'm surrounded and out numbered. Hence the reason i'm on the value B&Q ant killer.

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
We live in a small and rather crowded island Cappi. Most of us do get out and about, and most of us forage within reason within the seasons. Many on the forum also hunt and fish. However, even they have to be aware of the restrictions upon them here.

Bread is called the staff of life, it can make surviving very simple indeed. A wise choice to take with you since it assures you of food.even if your foraging or hunting is scanty.
I can't eat it though, so I will take something else. Others take what they choose based on their lifestyles and expectations.
That doesn't mean they aren't competent bushcrafters.Simply practical people.

cheers,
Toddy

correct nobody said any one is not competnt i started a thread for information purposes,as an experianced bushcrafter,and said for those who have not tried it go forth and experiance it .YOU jumped on the pc band wagon not me,i delivered information for the people on the forum,what they do with it is up to them,you need to experiance in life everything in order to evaluate yes it`s for me or no.es bread is the staff of life but for a max of 3 days then your body starts to break down,so to entre the bush for two weeks it is a challenge to survive well,and be healthy,YOU TRY IT,CAPPI

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE