Nother bushy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
I have been footering about with forge finishes for a while now and trying to master the borax on the steel to get a forge finish pattern. This one is about as best as I have got it so far as it has a full cracked finish.

The knife is a bushcrafter made from O1 steel with Thuja root handle with black liners. It’s just under 23cm long with a 11cm cutting edge. The blade has been fully hardened and made with a ire steel striking edge.

Thanks for looking.

PICT0509.jpg

PICT0512.jpg

PICT0507.jpg

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
Marts said:
Nice finish LF. :)

Hope all this experimenting isn't getting in the way of that nessy! ;)

I have to do the odd experiment (this was a commision) just to keep me sane as i see nessies in my dreams, nightmares :eek:

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
themac said:
If your getting that hang of the forge finish does this mean I can get it on my nessy, one of the nessys of your nightmares?? :)

Bushcraft knife 4mm thick forge finish is fine :D
Nessy 2mm thick forge finish is a nightmare :eek:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Nice blade shape :)

What did you use to finish the thuya. I have found it a real pain to work with and to finish. It looks good whatever.

I was wondering what the advantage of a faux forge finish is?

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
C_Claycomb said:
Nice blade shape :)

What did you use to finish the thuya. I have found it a real pain to work with and to finish. It looks good whatever.

I was wondering what the advantage of a faux forge finish is?

On the wood i just went to 420 grit paper then some oil and wax, nothing unusual.

the forge finnish is rough so in a user knife it wont show scratches or rust as much as say a satin or polished blade and it looks pretty :)

Isshogai

Nov 7, 2004
Wakefield West Yorkshire
I'm very proud to say I received this knife from Mozzy yesterday. :)

We had discussed various options for the knife a while ago, and the scale material became the last sticking point. I'm not a big fan of 'fancy' wood and
as this is going to get used a lot I took a lot of pursuading to go with proper wood instead of a stabilised option......

I know from Mozzy's previous work that he's a great fan of organic and natural materials and he came up with using Thuja root, which is full of natural preservatives. I am very glad he recommended it!

The fit and finish are first class and Mozzy was a pleasure dealing with, as many here and on BB will agree with. I haven't had a chance to cut anything with it yet but a review will be coming shortly....

Thanks Mozzy! :You_Rock_

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE