Not seen this wood burning stove before...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Ca...sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1353333857&sr=1-2
41vFyepjf3L._SL500_.jpg

[h=2]Product Features[/h]
  • Four (43.18 cm long × 6.35 cm diameter) interlocking flue pipe sections;Spark arrestor for added safety; Stove can be used in an outfitters tent with a stove pipe vent.
  • Removable legs (39.37 cm long); Removable dual side cooking tubes can be used for baking potatoes, foil meals, etc; The stove has front and rear air flow regulators and an easy access bottom ash clean-out.
  • Stove tools included; Stove pipe cap; Super strong rolled steel construction; Sets up in minutes.
  • Top grate is hinged and doubles as a carrying handle when stove is not in use; Stove pipes, side tubes, legs, and tools all fit inside stove for easy transport; Grate folds to provide flat heating surface on top of stove and can be folded out for drying gloves, socks, and small items.
  • Burns wood, compressed logs, charcoal or any convenient combustible; Measures: 45.72 cm long × 26.04 cm wide × 27.94 cm tall; Stands 26 1/2" with Extension legs; Weight 30 lbs; If used indoors, stove must be properly vented and installed.

Looks very promising. Postage is a bit steep though! Guessing it's shipping in from the states?

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Well the postage has killed that as an option for anyone in the UK, welding looks a little ropey too and you can't pop a kettle onto it either (you really need direct contact with the stove to be efficient).

Interesting though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not unlike the Frontier stove (really must get one soon ;)). Prices are almost identical but you can do a kettle on one. Well, keep a kettle warm anyway.

I do like the idea of portable wood burners.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Decorum has one like / similar to this. Sure he will be along to give his verdict

Yup, looks like mine ~ obtained before the Frontier became generally available. IIRC there are / were two sizes and I think this, like mine, is the larger.

My run down is:

Good solid build ~ this thing might have made a good anchor for the Titanic. If weight and distance isn't a problem then all's good,
If you want to cook on your stove with relative ease, buy something else.
Although the flue breaks down and stows in the main body the flue is actually very poorly designed. Each section of the flue slots onto the one below ~ so any tarring can dribble down the outside of the flue from each joint :( . Breaking the stove down is best done while the tar is still gooey.
The front and rear dampers are utter pants! ~ shutting the door with the dampers open has the same sort of effect as lobbing in a bucket of sand. I'm pretty sure they've used the same flue and damper set up as on the smaller version and it just isn't up to the job. Whoever gave approval for either of these items on this stove needs to hang their heads in shame.
If you don't want to use it at full height it will sit reasonably well on IPK Pegs (pointy bit up!) ~ but it would be wise to protect the ground from radiant heat.
There's no way of shutting the flue down to keep the heat in the stove.
The top cap contains a spark arrestor type thing in it, it tars up and blocks quite quickly.

Providing you leave the door open it's a half decent wood burner but if you want or need the control, efficiency, portability etc that come with the big names, then save up and splash the cash elsewhere.

Usual disclaimers, no connection to the seller(s) etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE