Not glen Coe, but a nice night hanging

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Was meant to be at the glen Coe meet this weekend however unexpected financial constraints called a halt to the trip.

Rather than get overly annoyed about it decided I'd go local for a solo over nighter. It was a lovely clear sky as I arrived in the hills of Renfrewshire thought I'd might get a chance to see the meteor the news has been full of, or at the very least maybe see a few shooting stars. Arrived at 1930 and was setting up home with a fire going by 2100. I camped in a scots pine plantation which has been thinned so didnt feel to dark its also had loads of wind blown trees so plenty of fire wood.

uduvygaz.jpg

Got a brew on and then spent a good while laid down next to the fire looking up at the stars. That was until it clouded over, as the fire was dying down decided to call it a night by midnight.

ybadytyg.jpg

Don't think the pooch was overly impressed with having to sleep on a rug under the hammock instead of his usually bed by the radiator mind you don't think he slept at all he seemed to be on guard duty for the night and woke me up just before 0700 growling at a father and son walking along the track not to far from where I was hanging.

regy3y9y.jpg

Seeing as how it was getting light decided to pack up and head home.

ysa4uvyn.jpg

ju2aza2a.jpg

looking back at the plantation

e9e7u6yv.jpg

happy to have some hanging time but still would have rather have been in Glen Coe lol

I was home by 0900.

Orric

Last edited:

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Nice to see you and Perrin out & about enjoying yourselves. Tell him uncle Vandeen has still got some chews For the next time we meet.

you're gonna have to get him a hammock of his own or a double to share with you, he certainly doesn't sleep and does the guard duty when under yours, maybe he looks at your knot work & fears being squashed ;-)

Have you had any bother with ticks on you or him up there yet?

greensurfingbear

He slept most of today, but perked up when i mentioned vandeen snaxs lol.

Bit early I think for ticks...... At least nothing yet on any of the walks we've been on do far!

I only went up the hills behind the village so less than 30 min drive and walk. Had the place to myself until just before 0700 this morning. You'll have to come up and visit

Orric

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
He slept most of today, but perked up when i mentioned vandeen snaxs lol.

Bit early I think for ticks...... You'll have to come up and visit

Orric

A hound after my own heart eh, food first :)

Re the ticks I was thinking more of the end of last year, I realise you're probably still in the depths of winter up there ATM. ;-)

A Scotland camp is on my wish list of places to head for on the bike this year as long as things calm down / pan out OK, so we'll hopefully meet up again then. I'll bring some nice smelling pipe filler/midge repellant.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like nice night out :)
Dog sounds like he did well considering. Mine wont settle unless in a tent so no tree swinging for me when with the pooch is out :(.

greensurfingbear

Looks like nice night out :)
Dog sounds like he did well considering. Mine wont settle unless in a tent so no tree swinging for me when with the pooch is out :(.

The very first time I went to Brockwell woods when I as in newcastle he didnt settle. Then the second time he was ok. This is his third time out with me in the hammock. I wonder if its just because its a new place. Mind you I tied him to the tree the second time as there were more folks about as it was a NE englanbd BCUK meet maybe that made it easier for him?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE