Not bush craft, but...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
leon-b and Shinken both asked about antler for a pen and how it would look so I thought others may want to see.

Mathes_051.jpg

I did NOT make this, another chap in our wood work club did it. I want to try my hand at it soon.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Stunning!! i'm jealous. Although I am just learning, I try to do my best at natural crafts. I'm not very good but I suppose practise makes perfect. Watch this space....p.s., I'll prob have tons of fire steel handles, tinder pouches, key rings, etc soon. Just practice pieces but they will be free to whoever wants or more importantly...needs them. Pics will be posted when I have a few ready. :D

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
weaver said:
leon-b and Shinken both asked about antler for a pen and how it would look so I thought others may want to see.

Mathes_051.jpg

I did NOT make this, another chap in our wood work club did it. I want to try my hand at it soon.

Hi

On a seriuouse point do you know if your friend turned this on a small lath or simply reduced and profiled by hand? The hollowing out must have been tricky too!

If he a wants to make a few more to sell I would most certainly place an order for one.

Thanks

Cheers

Klench

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Yes, he turned it on a small lathe, there is no hollowing out. (just re-read and realized that hollowing refers to drilling the core for the pen to go through. Yes very tricky!) That "bark" is the natural texture of American White Tail Deer.

These are HIS COMMENTS:

Thanks, all! I appreciate the enthusiasm, especially since it was something new for me. Since there is some interest, I will try to throw out what I learned with this project....I'm sorry for the rambling that is about to happen

I would love to take credit for the antler pen, but it's someone else's clever idea. Since the consistency and curve of the antler varies, I probably spent the most time trying to decide on what parts of the rack would make the nicest pen. Obviously, the thicker antler has the thicker marrow, so I don't think that will work well on a slimline. I used the lower part of the antler (closest to the skull) for the cigar pen. I offset the drilled hole by a little in order to leave some of the natural 'bark' look to the side of the pen. I tried to be careful, though, to minimize the amount of marrow that would be exposed at the top where the pen tapers.

For the antler pen, the following are the steps I took. I'm not sure if it's the best way, but I'm happy with the results. First, I cut the pieces of antler at the bandsaw as I felt I had the most control and would minimize waste and possible chipping there. The bandsaw went through the antler very easily. Then, I put the antler pieces in a wood clamp and spent a lot of extra time making sure that the piece was positioned correctly. This is important since the piece has extreme changes in thickness/shape/curve even in these little pieces. Once I was certain that the antler would not blow out one of the sides, I drilled using the standard slimline 7mm bit. I then glued in my brass tube for the pen.

With freshly sharpened tools (as I understand is a requirement ) I turned the antler. I was careful to have the windows of the shop open and the dust collection on. The smell was not overly bad, but I didn't really want to breathe in the dust and wanted to minimize any potential smell. The tools seemed to dull fairly quickly and the antler does not exactly cut into 'ribbons' like a nice piece of maple will. I was, however, easily able to get a really nice finish on it from just a skew chisel.

After using the skew, I went ahead and applied a coat of thin CA because I had read the sanding dust will fill the pores ,showing up as black dots all over the white antler. After filling the pores with CA, I went through a quick sanding regiment and then applied a normal CA finish.

Overall I was suprised at how easy it was and how nice the pen turned out.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Very nice. I started a thread a while back "the pen is mightier than the sword" and you seem to have come up with a mighty pen there. Now, if we could come up with a folding antler pen that flicks open like a knife then it might be a real winner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE