Not a bushcraft knife! - Orange G10 and 4.5mm 12C27 Stainless

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
:cool:
A few months back I got some 12C27 back from heat treating and in there were a couple of knives of this pattern.

Someone saw them and thought that something like that might make an interesting rescue knife, so I have been playing with handles. I hadn't ever tried G10, nor a scalloped finish. Can't say that I like G10 much, I worked it wet and by hand, very messy. Still haven't got a finish on it I like :rolleyes::lol:

Its something different from bushcraft knives at any event!! :D

IMG_5535_b.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5514.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

Anyone able to name the screws? :D

The nice thing is that since it isn't glued together I can keep experimenting with finishes for the blade and handle, and different handle styles! While it doesn't look all that comfy, it does fit my hand well, although someone with a big mit would probably find it horrid :p

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I like it very much, Id say the screws are mortorq heads, Nice work Chris, when you say it was messy is that due to the g10 producing alot of dust(then mxed with the water) is it worse than stabalized wood?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Gaahhh got the screws in one. Pooh! Actually, the only reason I used them was that I had them going spare!

The dust and water mix is messy. Don't know whether it is worse than stabilised wood since I always work that dry, with a respirator, but I didn't fancy a lot of finely sanded glass dust going everywhere in the air. Instead it was confined to going everywhere in a downwards cone that encompassed my shoes and trousers! :p The clean-up job is still waiting for me in the shop.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The screws are clutch head ones.

Mainly used in security for when you want the screw to stay there and not be removed :)

Nope, Southey was right, they are Mortorqs. Aerospace type fasteners, high torque, low profile, resistant to cam-out. and most important of all for my purposes, these were free and destined for scrap. :D

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
that's fantastic work mate just the ticket you'll have to let me get my large mits on it soon and we'll find out if its uncomfortable :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE