Not a bad fungus, but definitely impolite

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
A few days ago I went on a fungal foray. I brought along to it a bolete

BOLETE1.JPG

that I was a little puzzled about. From a wider knowledge of the boletes I knew it wasn't poisonous. I thought it might boletus badius. It turned out to be one of the star attractions for a number of reasons.

The leader of the foray is outgoing and works well with a crowd. He used it as an example of the boletes in general and proclaimed it to be boletus edulus - the cep and one of the best fungi for eating. It was passed round and generally revered by all and sundry.

Then the real experts - 4 of them - got hold of it and puzzled mightily over it for about 10 minutes, before passing it back to me. A few minutes later they asked for it back and spent another 15 minutes puzzling over it - cutting it, sniffing it, tasting it (with a lot of practiced spitting), pouring over pocket books, and so on. Finally they gave up but said could they take it away for further thought.

I got a phone call a few days later. They had detected an iodine smell when storing it in a lunch box for a while, and they had consulted an expert on boletes. There was a confident identification - boletus impolitus. Also known as the "iodine bolete" - good eating, and rare.

So, everyone got something out of it although for different reasons. But the worms had the last laugh.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Interesting story, it is fun when you get something rare.
You can tell that they are proper mycologists because none of them would give a definite ID on their own and they are very good at spitting. Your story does show how much detail you have go to get a absolute ID with some species.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE