Norwegian Vintage Army Ski 'Day' Sack

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I'm not quite sure what the proper name for this sack is but I have been using mine quite a bit recently for popping my tracking bits-and-bobs in when I go out for some quality dirt time. Reading about Wayland's review of the German Mountain Pack (of which I have one and absolutely love) I thought it worth posting about another old skool pack.

This is pack is SMALL (15 litres) made of canvas, plenty of leather straps and edging and metal (alu?) attachments. The model I have - as in the picture - does not have a leather base to the back but I have seen ones in stock that do. I would have thought this would improve wear in this region and would opt for this). It has a drawsting closure under the main flap. There is one compartment and there are a pair of leather compression straps on the outside. The pack sits well on the back - quite high - as would be better if you are ski-touring and one of the best features of it is that it has a solid back to it that concertinas and folds the pack into a neat little bundle for packing into something else (like a side pocket of a larger pack).

If you click on the piccies then some 'slightly' larger ones can be viewed.

loadcarry_norgee_pack.jpg loadcarry_norgee_pack1.jpg

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=905

Last edited:

Erik1

Dec 13, 2009
Norway
I think we called it the "combat pack" when i did my National Service. The back could be supported by two (wooden) tent poles on the inside. The external leather straps were perfect for the overboots.

E

Last edited:

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
As Erik1 says it is an old "Stridsekk" (combat pack).
Mine is a later version. I think these was taken out of service in mid 90`s.
Bombproof sack and you get them very cheap (8-9 dollars for a used one, twice that for a brand new), but somewhat small for civilian use IMO. Large enough for "Mors 2 kiloes survival set" though.
In the army you were supposed to have the army billy with dry provisions, tent pegs (3), tent poles (2), cutlery, wool socks, MRE (RSP as they was called), rifle cleaning kit, tent tarp and extra ammo in it.
We used it mostly in basic training. After we had finished that we used the larger rucksack (also out of the service) and carried a ready "made" tent.
Below is som pics of how mine looks, and the purpose of the straps on its side.

Stridsekk.JPG

Stridssekk2.JPG

Sorry about the large pics.

Tor

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Thanks for the pics. Most informative. Nice to see someone with some experience of using these packs in the field. I see yours is the later version with leather base to the back part of it (just in view in your top picture). Yes they are small. About 3 times the size of a responsepak but enough to fit in some odds and ends for a few hours wander and sits most comfortably on the back. I also like how it packs down too. Thanks for sharing.

LBL

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE