Norwegain patrol pack build

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
Howdy guys,

Ive fallen in love... with the idea of the Norwegian patrol pack as illustrated here: https://www.wynnchester.co.uk/product/norwegian-patrol-pack/ mainly i want a small day sack for putting foraged items when out with the dog

sadly they seem neigh-on impossible to find these days, (i seem to have missed their disposal a few years ago), and i dont fancy splashing £150 on Wynnchesters reproduction, however nice it looks!

So, the plan is to make one on my singer boot patcher. what id like is that if any one has one can you supply me with a few dimensions, specifically height width and depth. also indications of weight of canvas they are made out of and if anyone would modify the design in any way.

if not plan B is to base the size on a British army began side pouch, and make a different lid.

thanks for any help

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
cheers for the pics and mod ideas kristophish

what was wrong with the shoulder straps? i was going to cut leather ones about 2 1/2" wide. its not going to carry much weight

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Ah! The M53 Stridssekk. Had no idea they had become rare. Mine always seems too small. If you are going to make one, consider making it a bit larger.

Z

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Tipi,

Great that you are having a go at MYOG.

Re basing the size on a rocket pouch - I've been using a 1980's version through 'summer' as part of a webbing set up - they are quite small.

Green season webbing 1..jpg Green season webbing 2..jpg

For example -inside the one shown is a German army ground sheet; a BRS wood burning stove set; a Brit softie jacket and it is a tight fit.

The 1990's version (in dpm) is a bit larger and would probably work better as a solo mini ruck.:)

Attachments

• NI Ruck Mods II 10..jpg
    NI Ruck Mods II 10..jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 44

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
Thanks for that link Zingmo, some useful and interesting info. The measurements especiallyz

So kinda getting the impression I should redesign the straps! Think at this rate it's going by to be a rocket pack style with the Yolk. But I'll make it out of leather and stitch it on. Never tried a sack with the shoulder straps connected in the middle but I can see it being a little unstable.

Yup! Mini sack is the plan, mostly for gathering on the dog walk.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
hv-1_110.jpg

There are a couple of the patrol packs in this photo. You can see the way the shelterhalf/poncho was rolled up under the lid and folded down each side held in place by the leather straps.

Z

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
You get these packs in Norway for 20 pounds. I just saw one model at the cost of 16 pounds. Just in case you didn´t already know that :)

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
The leather shoulder straps are far to thin to wear if you don't have body armour or thick clothing. Also. Canvas is a nightmare in Scotland. Just soaks up the water in the air even and gets heavy and damp.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
The original name of the pack in question is "M51 Stridssekk" (battle pack). It's 13 litres, the height is 40 cm, width 25 cm and depth 13 cm.

m51_norwegian_army_backpack.jpg

Not to be confused with the bigger "M53 ryggsekk" (backpack):

m53_norwegian_army_backpack.jpg

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Howdy guys,

Ive fallen in love... with the idea of the Norwegian patrol pack as illustrated here: https://www.wynnchester.co.uk/product/norwegian-patrol-pack/ mainly i want a small day sack for putting foraged items when out with the dog

sadly they seem neigh-on impossible to find these days, (i seem to have missed their disposal a few years ago), and i dont fancy splashing £150 on Wynnchesters reproduction, however nice it looks!

So, the plan is to make one on my singer boot patcher. what id like is that if any one has one can you supply me with a few dimensions, specifically height width and depth. also indications of weight of canvas they are made out of and if anyone would modify the design in any way.

if not plan B is to base the size on a British army began side pouch, and make a different lid.

thanks for any help

No idea where the OP ended up with this project but Wynnchester are currently selling off their remaining stock of the replica Norwegian packs for £75 (inc postage) which is half the £150 they were originally asking.

https://www.wynnchester.com/product/patrol-pack/

I was fortunate to pick up a virtually as new one from the Bay of E for less than a third of the original asking price and agonised over whether keeping it for myself before giving it to Mrs Nomad for Xmas. She loved it but it didn’t suit what she wanted to carry in it so she has bought herself something else in the sales which should be arriving any day soon. :)

I’m trying to maintain the pretence of being disappointed that she doesn’t want it while looking forward to getting my sticky mitts on what looks like a lovely little bag.

Planning to use it as an EDC (“man”) bag in place of an old SF Sabre 30 which is a bit big, scruffy for the odd occasion when I go somewhere vaguely civilised.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE