Northumbria - What's it like? Wildcamping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hi all! I've never been to Northumbria but am thinking of a wildcamping / backpacking trip over there in September. Hoping to tarp it but if unsuitable I will take a single skin tent. What is it like to wild camp? Will we get away with it? Lakes is pretty much ok for wildcamping but I'm never sure of areas outside of my patch (the Lakes). I know Scotland is obviously ok and Snowdonia is mostly ok if higher up, but what about Northumbria?

Anyone got any suggestions for a long weekend. Probably drive up Friday from South Lakes a bit of a walk then camp then saturday through to mondya before driving back mondya late afternoon / evening. I have no idea but have heard the Cheviot is nice area. I know people don't like to advcertise their favourite local wild camping spots but if anyone can give a general area that is best to go to and let me know what the terrain is like for wildcamping it would be a great help. If anyone wants to pm me with any details of their favourites I can be discrete and won't pass them on.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The area round the Cheviot, is a bit bleak and often boggy, to be honest.
That said, if you were making your way along the border section of the Pennine Way for example,I'd be most surprised if anyone batted an eyelid, if you pitched a tent somewhere along the way.
If you are after a woodland campsite, I've nothing to offer there, I'm afraid.

good luck with it

R.B.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Someone I know said it was prety wet there. That is what worries me especially with our weather patterns. I don't mind walking in the wet but I have concerns about camping in it. If it is anything like the Mickle fell area I was in then you are talking heather and tussocks and very boggy, uneven ground. Which is kind of what I'm expecting. Basically not good backpacking terrain which is why I'm kind of picking people's brains on this site.

Personally I'd prefer going to Glen Trool area of the Galloway Hills. I know there wil be spots up there but not my choice.

johnnyneuro

Jan 5, 2007
Cambridge
We did 3 nights out in the Cheviots a couple of years ago.

As has already been said, above about 400 or 500 metres the ground is heather and bog all year round. The trees become sitka spruce, which tells you something. We decided to go lower for camping, where we came into contact with forestry crews (all perfectly nice folk) who are quite busy around there during the day. Come 5:30, everyone had gone home and we found some excellent spots with hardwoods for fires.

Walk high. Camp low.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thanks Johnnyneuro, tht's all I need. As long as I know there are spots other than in heather and bog I'm ok going there. Tarp is being prepared. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE