Northerner Knives - Beaver Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Hi
Has anyone bought any knives from the Northerner website - www.northerner.com i like the look of the Beaver knife -http://www.northerner.com/products/k77-3501.html
does anyone know anything about this knife or could they recommend a knife from this website. Also does anyone know if there is import tax/duty to pay on orders from other parts of Europe?
Thanks for your help

Michael

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The Beaver is made by Karesuando of Sweden. I bought their fishing knife from www.ragweedforge.com here in the US. The knives are beautifull works of art and quite functional within their limits. None of these knives are MOD4 J.Adams survival knives. The bladestock is quite thin with rat tail tangs and the simple, easily sharpened scandinavian grind. These are cuttters not choppers! They work very well on small diameter trees like birches for coppicing and the forward curved belly makes shaving feather kindling sticks an art. Karesuando strays a bit from the traditional handle on some models and incorporates slight guards. The only problem I have with this is the sheath. It is well made, but even after treating in beeswax to stiffen it up I added a bit of leather string to tie off the knife. This dealer is well established inthe US, but I have no immediete experience with them. You might look through Ragweeds extensive bookmark and links for european dealers.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
There is a company in the UK that supplies Karesuando knives, including the one you are interested in:
http://www.nordicarts.com/karesuando_knife 04.htm
I have just bought two cheaper carbon steel models (Ornen, Raven) from them and the service was great.
Both of the models I bought however had secondary bevels rather than a single flat bevel.
Having ground off the small secondary bevels on waterstones as advocated in other reviews, I found the angle of the bevel on the Ornen too shallow to hold its edge. The Raven was slightly steeper and did better but in the end I put back the small secondary bevel on both and now find they still cut extremely well whilst holding an excellent edge.

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
i have had a few knives/axes posted from australia (good currency conversion rate and if you ask the seller to mark the item gift or hand-tool then you shouldn't have a problem........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE