North wood february 25-27 to coincide with the outdoor leasure show

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MJM1

Forager
Feb 2, 2011
Stourbridge
Just been tidying up some of the deadfall around the garden and also cut up a few of the branches that SWMBO made me cut off one the pine trees to let in more light so she could sunbathe the summer before last.
As a result of the little bit I've done so far I've got a bin bag full of firewood ranging from pencil sized twigs to 3 inch pine logs :campfire:
What's the situation with availability of firewood on site? I assume there is a limited amount of dead wood we can make use of but quite a lot of people are going to be there. If I need to bring my own along how much will I need?

Mike.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi mike re firewood,
bring it along by all means if youve got to get rid of it anyway. there is ample windfall on site for now and we plan to take down and cut up a few dodgy dead standing this weekend, so yes, plenty of wood for the fire, shelter building etc. oh and just to reiterate post 1, no live wood is to be cut.

steve

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
ok guys, heads up to a couple of things.

met with gordon (owner) down at north woods today, we walked the wood and tagged a few issues. one of them was concerning access, the normal route to the south end of the wood is pretty well sodden with all the recent rain. so rather than have us walk our gear in, he's seen some of the setups!, he has given us permission to go clockwise around the wood following the perimeter closely. this has several advantages, given the wet ground theres no incline, it takes us nearer to our pitch site, and it resolves some gear mauling problems.

this takes us to the second issue, parking. the offloading point will now be that large triangular piece of set aside bottom right as shown on the map, see post 1. to keep ground disturbance to an absolute minimum, on this occasion it will be our parking area. please remember the whole object of this is primarily to minimise movement on wet ground and to still help us get our gear to site. this doesnt mean just because your cars handy you can nip down to the loo! any unnecessary movement will forfeit this privilege. gordons bending over backwards to help us here fellas, one thoughtless action and we all have to walk our gear in from here on. so bring your gear, water or supplies in on your initial journey, or haul it in on foot. :)

the third and final issue is one of conservation really, there are lots of daffodills, snowdrops and bluebells emerging now. luckily most of the daffs and snowdrops are in the north end of the wood however where we're going there are isolated clumps, can we avoid trampling these and pitch accordingly. the carpet of bluebells at their current stage will survive to flower, hopefully on our next meet! (see may 2010 pics) thanks for your co-operation.

steve

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
dam may have to get there late Friday or early Saturday now! dam baby sitter has let me down, so I am going to have to look after my son until my wife wakes some sleep after a night shift. gutter to miss out on some time in the woods

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
ok guys, heads up to a couple of things.

met with gordon (owner) down at north woods today, we walked the wood and tagged a few issues. one of them was concerning access, the normal route to the south end of the wood is pretty well sodden with all the recent rain. so rather than have us walk our gear in, he's seen some of the setups!, he has given us permission to go clockwise around the wood following the perimeter closely. this has several advantages, given the wet ground theres no incline, it takes us nearer to our pitch site, and it resolves some gear mauling problems.

this takes us to the second issue, parking. the offloading point will now be that large triangular piece of set aside bottom right as shown on the map, see post 1. to keep ground disturbance to an absolute minimum, on this occasion it will be our parking area. please remember the whole object of this is primarily to minimise movement on wet ground and to still help us get our gear to site. this doesnt mean just because your cars handy you can nip down to the loo! any unnecessary movement will forfeit this privilege. gordons bending over backwards to help us here fellas, one thoughtless action and we all have to walk our gear in from here on. so bring your gear, water or supplies in on your initial journey, or haul it in on foot. :)

the third and final issue is one of conservation really, there are lots of daffodills, snowdrops and bluebells emerging now. luckily most of the daffs and snowdrops are in the north end of the wood however where we're going there are isolated clumps, can we avoid trampling these and pitch accordingly. the carpet of bluebells at their current stage will survive to flower, hopefully on our next meet! (see may 2010 pics) thanks for your co-operation.

steve

Steve,

That's great news regarding the Parking situation.

Pass on my thanks to Gordon for allowing us the use of such a great wood.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
1. woodspirits + 1 (tbc)
2. SimonD
3. Sasquatch
4. NLW
5. MartinK9
6.Twodogs
7. Muddy Boots
8. Neumo
9. Tank
10. Andy2112
11. Snarf
12.Karl82
13.luckylee.
14.The Big Lebowski (sober this time )
15. Cliv
16.dave53
17. Snarfs sniff (Kay)
18. TinkyPete (TBC due to work)
19. marvalous
20. jimbo75
21. shaggystu
22. andy t (tbc ....birthday weekend )
23. septicben
24. Shanghai Jim
25. cwillson (tbc)
26. Preper
27. Addo
28. Davey569 (TBC)
29. Elines
30. wolfcrafter
31. MJM1
32. redwood bushcraft
33. Bodge & Adam
34. Andy BB

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
i could do with minimum 8 volunteers for our little felling / logging operation this weekend. 2 crews of 3, made up of someone who knows their way around a chainsaw and two picking up brash and logs. followed by 2 others on a quad and trailer picking up the logs and taking them to a bigger trailer in our new car park. all in all it shouldnt take more than a couple of hours, the more helpers the merrier! little bit of goodwill on our part will go a long way, and of course we get to use as much as we want for ourselves :) friday / saturday morn' ? i'll leave it to you guys to decide. ok i'll start the list;

woodspirits

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
i could do with minimum 8 volunteers for our little felling / logging operation this weekend. 2 crews of 3, made up of someone who knows their way around a chainsaw and two picking up brash and logs. followed by 2 others on a quad and trailer picking up the logs and taking them to a bigger trailer in our new car park. all in all it shouldnt take more than a couple of hours, the more helpers the merrier! little bit of goodwill on our part will go a long way, and of course we get to use as much as we want for ourselves :) friday / saturday morn' ? i'll leave it to you guys to decide. ok i'll start the list;

woodspirits

woodspirits
MartinK9 - Punkah Wallah

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE