North Wood Christmas meet 16-18 December 2011

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
andy great to hear from you mate! :) lee's been keeping us all posted on things and were all behind you bud. that would be brilliant to see you if your up to it, but i know youve been very ill, so dont get overdoing it eh? if i can be of any help just let me know, need a lift in/out etc. tell you what mate, seeing a friend in pain tugs at the ol' heart strings, puts things in perspective, were all rooting for you andy and dont even think of selling your kit, you'll be needing it! oh and just a reminder, next time your ogling some tasty nurse with unclean thoughts, just think of us huddled around a crackle log trying to keep warm.:rolleyes:

all the very best andy and hope to see you very soon. :D

steve
i could not have put it any better, take care brother.
lee.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Andy good to hear from you and I hope you can get sorted out. would be great to see you but make sure you get sorted out.

All the best

Pete

I am not certain as to when I will be arriving maybe Friday maybe Saturday

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
following steves (mesquite) introduction, i have been in contact with paul for the last month with emails and phone about his visit. today i had a nice afternoon with Paul Kirtley and his assistant James, (He was previously Head of Operations at Woodlore) we had a wander around North Wood he was very interested in the SSSI and we had a bit of a tree ID as we walked around.

they arrived today in preparation for a day course tomorrow instructing a disadvantaged group in fire starting, shelter building, bush cooking etc (was going on about your nosh martin)
very nice to meet them, and he suggested his availability re a instructional meet similar to the RC bash. anyway a couple of pics... :cool:

paulkirtley006.jpg

paulkirtley002.jpg

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Great news Steve... I had been wondering whether the course Paul was trying to set up was going to go ahead, nice to see it is.

I'm glad I was able to help out in a small way :)

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Of course they loved it, its a most beautiful wood where you can positively hear the history sung through the trees on the wind :)

I'm wet brine-ing a noggin of silverside to jerky incase we get to play with that, let me know what else we can bring to help out! Basing recipe on http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/CORNED-BEEF-50022461 as my recipe is salted by dry rubbing which I understand makes the beef too 'fall apart' for jerkying. I'd seen jerky done with corned silverside in the blasphemously titled 'Cooking With Beer' ;)

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Great news Steve... I had been wondering whether the course Paul was trying to set up was going to go ahead, nice to see it is.

I'm glad I was able to help out in a small way :)

yes thanks steve, just happy that we could share our facility in such a positive way. and of course its a bit of extra bunce for the farmer :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
It's salting as I type so I'll rinse it off a coupla daze early and get it marinading ready for the weekend... although with my knife honing skills, I should probably try putting it between a coupla tarps and rolling the disco over it a few times to flatten it instead of cutting it there ;) Mmmm unless you're offering me a long term let of the wood perchance... ;)

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
Bringing the list forward

1. woodspirits
2. Tank
3. TinkyPete
4. Twodogs
5. Cliv
6. NLW
7. MartinK9
8. Cowboy
9. Sasquatch
10. Karl82
11. Bodge + Adam
12. Andy BB (Subject to work)
13. Turbogirl & youngling (TBC)
14. SimonD (Subject to impending fatherhood)
15. Muddy Boots
16. Preper
17. freedom (PHIL)
18. luckylee, i'm hoping i will able to make it.
19. Davey569
20. Wayland TBC
21. Outdoory ( possibly plus 1)
22. Priam (+ 1 guest) Sat AM arrival (so looking for ward to this meet)
23. Spud TBC

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm thinking of bringing just the tipi cover and liners to maybe rig up as wind deflectors round the fire if theres room in the disco :) Really looking forward to it now, specially having a play with jerky making properly, tho I bet some'll think it sacrelidge to use saltpetre for mere food ;)

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
sal, replied to in P.M

for what its worth, heres the met office forcast for the midlands...

"Starting very unsettled and stormy with a risk of exceptionally strong winds and potentially damaging gusts, perhaps even across parts of the south, this risk peaking around Friday 16th. This will be coupled with heavy rain which may bring flooding to some western areas, with snow an additional risk",

so, just a heads up to expect the worse, and as the regulars will know where we camp is predominantly ash. be aware of whats above you! :(

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
just updating my intentions

1. woodspirits
2. Tank
3. TinkyPete
4. Twodogs
5. Cliv
6. NLW
7. MartinK9
8. Cowboy
9. Sasquatch
10. Karl82
11. Bodge + Adam
12. Andy BB (Subject to work)
13. Turbogirl & youngling (TBC)
14. SimonD (Subject to impending fatherhood, arrive sat am for one night)
15. Muddy Boots
16. Preper
17. freedom (PHIL)
18. luckylee, i'm hoping i will able to make it.
19. Davey569
20. Wayland TBC
21. Outdoory ( possibly plus 1)
22. Priam (+ 1 guest) Sat AM arrival (so looking for ward to this meet)
23. Spud TBC

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Fellas. Ive been chatting with Steve and I would like to propose and facilitate a little exercise for the meet next weekend.

The Northwood 'Survival Scenario'

What I propose to do is spend at least 4 hours on saturday tesing the skills of a worst case scenario. The first few hours of survival are always critical and if your like me you will have always wondered 'how would I cope'? Well this is the time to find out guys and I have devised a plan. How this will be done is the time will be divided up into 3 different phases;

1. Cold water emmersion - Spending a minuet or two in one of the ponds in full kit, untill you are good and wet.

2. Immediate response - Preventing hypothermia and building a fire.

3. Camp building - Preparing a camp for the potential of spending a night out.

This is not in anyway a course nor is it a competition, it is just what I believe a good way of testing those all important skills. Feel free to have a go at any of the phases and/or pull out at any time.

The floor is now open for comments/suggestions? :)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Fellas. Ive been chatting with Steve and I would like to propose and facilitate a little exercise for the meet next weekend.

The Northwood 'Survival Scenario'

What I propose to do is spend at least 4 hours on saturday tesing the skills of a worst case scenario. The first few hours of survival are always critical and if your like me you will have always wondered 'how would I cope'? Well this is the time to find out guys and I have devised a plan. How this will be done is the time will be divided up into 3 different phases;

1. Cold water emmersion - Spending a minuet or two in one of the ponds in full kit, untill you are good and wet.

2. Immediate response - Preventing hypothermia and building a fire.

3. Camp building - Preparing a camp for the potential of spending a night out.

This is not in anyway a course nor is it a competition, it is just what I believe a good way of testing those all important skills. Feel free to have a go at any of the phases and/or pull out at any time.

The floor is now open for comments/suggestions? :)

Are you mad ?

If there are any takers for this, please make sure your jabs are up to date and you have insurance.... I'll bring the post it notes and have first dibs on any kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE