North of Sweden in winter time...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Norway banned their snowmobiles (but for work duty) because
of their environmental impact. The old two cylinder ones really
pours out nasty materials from the combustions, more than
all of the normal cars put together. And the snowmobile frightens
reindeer and a lot of people gets killed on snowmobiles each year.

A ban has been proposed here in Sweden as well, but been voted down.

I saw no Artic Light this time, despite there being a massive sunflare
at the time, seriously cold and crystal clear skies some nights.

I've seen the Artic Light before and it is just as fantastic as you imagine...

:)

Actually snowmobiles are not banned (don`t know where you got this from). But their use have "always" (law from 1978) been heavily restricted.
You are only allowed to drive at specific trails like in Sweden (if not at work). There are however much less of these trails here than in Sweden.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Actually snowmobiles are not banned (don`t know where you got this from).
But their use have "always" (law from 1978) been heavily restricted.
You are only allowed to drive at specific trails like in Sweden (if not at work).
There are however much less of these trails here than in Sweden.

Got it from the driving course instructors and the firm where I rented my snowmobiles.
Of course you can't bann something like snowmobiles in a democracy, like confiskating
all of them, or similar. But what you can do is slowly making it impossible to use for the
average joe. And that's what's happening in Norway. Now, the land area per police officer
in northern Sweden or Norway is rather large, so up there people will do basically as they
want, regardless of what the law says. But that's another issue.

The point being it is acctually easier using snowmobiles in Sweden than in Norway or Finland,
where your're supposed to get the land owners permission before crossing an area.

Yep, there are trails also in Finland, but not like Swe. And Sweden have areas where one
can drive freely outside the trails. I was in one of them.

Peace! :)

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The point being it is acctually easier using snowmobiles in Sweden than in Norway or Finland,
where your're supposed to get the land owners permission before crossing an area.

Actually terrängkörningslagen (offroad driving law) covers snowmobiles as well. And allemansrätten does not cover snowmobiles. The landowner *may* allow you to pass (as long as the requirements in the law is met). But it is not a give that you are allowed to do so. And considering the amount of damage to growing crops and planted trees I actually hope that the parliment will grow a pair and ban it outside prepared tracks or for professional use (etc: basically the same rules as for non-snow covered terrain). But I don't expect them to.

Yep, there are trails also in Finland, but not like Swe. And Sweden have areas where one
can drive freely outside the trails. I was in one of them.

The problem is not the ones the stay within designated areas/trails, it is the rest. But I think we both know that story.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE