Norrona Climaguard?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moosemap

Sep 7, 2007
Kumberg, Austria
www.karteundkanu.at
Hi all,

I got an offer for a Norrona jacket in Climaguard that is looking interesting, but I have never heard of this kind of membrane, coating or else, so can anybody here please help me with some information?

Thank you very much
Heinz

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hi all,

I got an offer for a Norrona jacket in Climaguard that is looking interesting, but I have never heard of this kind of membrane, coating or else, so can anybody here please help me with some information?

Thank you very much
Heinz

They don't use that anymore. I think it was their own name for a generic ptfe- or PU-membrane. So except performance below Gore-Tex and eVent, but probably better than a cheap set of rain gear.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If it's of any use to you, I believe that it used to be made by a Swiss company - something like 'Rotofil' - as a tightly woven nylon - a sort of synthetic Ventile if you like - that was windproof and shower resistant. In the mid 1980s, Karrimor produced a jacket made of it that went with their Alpiniste fleece. The combination worked extremely well indeed, being lightweight, very flexible, zip-through pockets that matched the fleece and so on but it came in the most hideous colours and rather missed a trick with a poorly designed hood. I notice that Paramo have a rough equivalent combination available currently, which only goes to show that Karrimor weren't a million miles off the pace in terms of concept; just a little way out with the colour!

I remember using the set up when climbing the Nollen Spur on the Jungfrau and being really impressed...

Moosemap

Sep 7, 2007
Kumberg, Austria
www.karteundkanu.at
Thank you for your reply. In the pics it looks like a lining made from netting and in some pics it looks like some seam sealing underneath the netting. Something like a synthetic Ventile would be great, but this lining has me wondering. And investing about 90,- pounds just to find out, hm...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE