Non-stick or not?

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
What are everyones views on non-stick pans for fire/trangia use - are they worth the extra expense? I always thought they wouldn't stick the extreme heat and general harsh treatment of outdoors life. I was also wary of the non-sitck coating coming away and ending up in food after being super heated a number of times (although I suppose the same could be argued for the trangia standard aluminum pans).

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I bought a non-stick one. It was literally just a couple of quid in Wilko's - hardly an 'extra expense'. I've used it many times on both a hobo stove and over a log fire with a wooden spatula/spoon and the non-stick coating is still fine and intact.
I did take off the plastic handle and replaced it with a stubby wooden one (the only thing that takes up pack space with a pan is the handle). This has, of course, caught fire a couple of times - but not that often, and the wooden handle makes it easier to use than a metal handle that could get really hot.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'm not a big fan of non-stick for the outdoors.

I always ended up stirring with a metal spoon an taking off the coating.

These days I mainly use either stainless steel or titanium. Having said that, I also have a couple of ali Trangia's and have never had a problem with them.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE