Non-DPM SAS Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get Non-DPM SAS Smocks anymore. The SAS Smock is a great piece of kit which is hard wearing and gives good protection. The downside is the "look" they give you. The very embarrasing "Rambo" name springs to mind.

Several years ago I used to take part in a sport called Practical Rifle in which you basically ran a course of fire shooting at targets set at different ranges. An SAS Smock was perfect for this as it had plenty of pockets to carry ammunition etc. was tough and it didn't matter if you ended up lying in a foot of mud. But DPM was frowned upon as nobody in the sport wanted people to think we were a bunch of paramilitary nutcases.

Sooo a company sprang up who made SAS Smocks to order in different colours. Anything from Olive Green to Day glo Orange. Unfortunately I cannot recollect the name of the company r even where they were based.

It appears to me though that one of these Smocks in say Green would be perfect for Bushcraft.

So my question is does anyone know if they are still available and if so from where?

Cheers,

Tony

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I had a green SASS kit carry smock and IMHO it's very good, currently wearing a SASS DPM SAS smock for work which I like very much.

Brian

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
"Cripes" :shock: I've just spotted the prices.

When I was younger you could have bought the jacket, trousers, boots, shirt. socks, kacks, a bag o'chips, a cinema ticket, and a good time with a working girl from Falmouth docks for that :eek:): .

Ah well guess I'll have to get the needle and thread out and make my own. I wonder what pretty summer prints Laura Ashley will be bringing out this coming season?

Cheers,

Tony

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Yep your right, they are pricey but well made. For Bushcraft I got myself a Hilltrek ventile smock (£85) which was fairly reasonably priced. I think there are previous threads on jackets and someone was making there own, might be worth doing a search mate. Hope that helps.

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE