Nomad DIY Re-handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Hi Folks
In a moment of internet weakness I bought an Anglo Arms Nomad 2 - at less than a tenner I couldn't resist (even though I had a feeling I'd be disappointed!) When it arrived I was quite taken with it and very impressed at what they could make for a tenner. But the scales on the handle (it's a full tang) while nicely made were flat and unsculpted. I knew I could improve on that. Soooo....

The scales were held on with bolts so I undid them and prised off the scales. I had a look through my offcuts box and found a piece of Zebrano that I thought would look nice. I used the scales as a template and rough cut two pieces to size. I glued one scale in place (using superglue), drilled through the existing holes in the tang and then glued on the second scale.

upload an image

upload foto

image hosting free

Then followed removing the waste material down to the metal - I have a disc sander which worked nicely for this. Then some rasp and file work to start shaping. I have a small collection of drum sanders that can go in the drill which helped refine things. Then some hand sanding and polishing of the metal before wiping on a couple coats of danish oil.

img

image hosting websites

Now I have a knife that feels much better in the hand and I'm rather proud of. Yes, I have to live with the stainless steel, but it was only a tenner!!

free pic

image search

Hope you enjoyed that,
Phil

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Go for it - yes, the scales are attached with a pair of nuts/bolts and what looks like contact adhesive. Once off I cleaned it up with meths to get the glue off.
Not made a sheath yet - too many projects, too little time :)

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Thanks fella - info appreciated.

Need to find some wood. I had a nice piece of what I looked to be very lightly spalted beech. On slicing it in two I find that it is clean inside and will therefore be plain beech and very boring.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Awesome mate cheers. I have scales glued on, but am having "rehandlers block" (like writers block) when it comes to shaping them, I was hoping your pics would give me inspiration.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE