Noisy terror in the woods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
We moved to Ireland from South Africa not so long ago. The first time I heard a fox make that noise, or any sound for that matter, I thought someone was being attacked in the street. I later learned that there are foxes all over the place and they make that noise. There's a den in an abandoned house 2 houses down from us, so getting used to their sounds now. Strange, fascinating animals

Reactions: Robbi and TeeDee

Ira

Sep 15, 2021
Kensington
The bears are silent. It's only when they are on the other side of your tent fabric can you hear them breathing. No food whatsoever in the tent, not even a package of chewing gum. All food in a pack, 20' up in the air over a tree branch.

No sex.

Loons calling on the nearby lake are instantly recognizable.

Owls, especially the big ones, hoot for territory but they don't have much else to say. I watched a Great Horned Owl at sunrise hit a rabbit in silence on the edge of a logging road and fly away with it.

What wilderness mating seasons have you got now for spring births? Do your rabbits scream when they are injured, like ours do?

I have heard rabbits screaming at night in the woods when a vixen has caught them, sometimes she will keep them alive to teach her cubs hunting and the noise goes on for ages

• Wow
Reactions: Robson Valley

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
The bears are silent. It's only when they are on the other side of your tent fabric can you hear them breathing. No food whatsoever in the tent, not even a package of chewing gum. All food in a pack, 20' up in the air over a tree branch.

No sex.

Loons calling on the nearby lake are instantly recognizable.

Owls, especially the big ones, hoot for territory but they don't have much else to say. I watched a Great Horned Owl at sunrise hit a rabbit in silence on the edge of a logging road and fly away with it.

What wilderness mating seasons have you got now for spring births? Do your rabbits scream when they are injured, like ours do?

Why no sex? Are bears more likely to attack if you are having sex than if not?
Genuine question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The bears, grizz in particular, are attracted to the smell.
You are prey. There's no diplomacy, there's no discussion.
Well that’s kind of what I meant by threat. Bears don’t actually prey on humans as food, but they do kill them because they feel threatened. The sex pheromones would suggest to a bear a species they perceive as a threat is trying to increase its numbers in their area.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Humans are prey. The bears exercise considerable judgement regarding the effort needed to bring down prey. Sex is the scent of active prey.
Normally, nobody here allows their kids to walk alone to school. Large groups but usually driven in cars & trucks both in the Spring and the Autumn.

The bear threat responses (buried kill site, cubs, etc.) are normally fatal.

There have been recent reports of the big cats stalking little kids. That adds a serious risk to playing outside after school.
There are some very effective local hunters who make short work of those kinds of problems.

McBride Cat.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE