No more the Grasshopper...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Jamie

Rod said:
Hi All,

I've changed my user name to my own - will leave my avatar as is for now - just so I look familiar.

Most peolple know me as Rod, and it seemed more sensible to go by my own name

cheers :beerchug:

glad you decided to go with 'Rod' and not what everyone calls you behind your back mate!!!! :censored: ;) :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Alas poor Grasshopper,
He is no more,
The Summer's been and ended,
He's frozen on the floor.

Our Grasshopper has hopped it,
and morphed into a Rod.
And as those who google know
That's a different kind of bod. ;)

Rod he is, but not the kind,
he thought he was, I think.
For lo, behold an insect still he is
Just follow on this link :)

http://skepdic.com/rods.html

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. I'm sitting plaiting horsehair into fishing line and was *actually* looking for details of fishing rods to figure out how to fasten the ends onto the rod.....It's *astonishing* the meanings a little word can have :eek: :eek:

M

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Toddy said:
Alas poor Grasshopper,
He is no more,

p.s. I'm sitting plaiting horsehair into fishing line and was *actually* looking for details of fishing rods to figure out how to fasten the ends onto the rod.....It's *astonishing* the meanings a little word can have :eek: :eek:

M

Cool verse Toddy.

Question. Is the work you produce for teaching/demo only, or do you put things like the horsehair line to use? You never fail to amaze me with the knowledge and skills you demonstrate.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Rod, :eek: was kind of late and I'd been up since 4.30. I read your new post just after I tripped over the info

Monarch and I are putting together a proposal for a Bronze Age activity for Historic Scotland and I'd seen some of the stunningly good work that PatrickM does (I'm the proud owner of one of his firebow sets and he made me a little birch bark hook/needle container too :D :D ) and I'd found some of the stash of horsehair and I thought the fishing line might be a relevant part of the hands on demonstration.
Sometimes it's hard to find simple things for boys to make in cordage other than spinning which they feel is too girly.
The horsehair fishing line is a nightmare to make unless you have very good light to work in. I've been working on both a three and a four part braid, but wanted to see how to best leave the ends. I don't see why they shouldn't have a try out though when they're finished.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE