Nikwax.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I would think that that is a closely guarded company secret that only the Nikwax Pixies would know!Is great stuff though! ;)

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
There are various Nikwax products, so they will all be slightly different. AFAIK, the TX Direct for example is an emulsion (don't know what the wax element is) plus acetic acid and zirconium acetate .

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
As led says the different products will use different active agents etc is there a specific treatment you are thinking about?

There is a lot of information about their products on the Nikwax website, by entering the free item competitions for some time now I have learnt a surprising amount about their products...most of it is useless mind you. :lmao:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Oh boy, here I go again with another of my overly informative, entirely useless textiles post: (Hey, maybe I should do this for a living instead of going to university!)

Nikwax is a silicon based product. It's environmentally friendly or "green" if you will. This is why it's so popular.

Grangers, Storm and the likes are flourocarbon based. These are NOT environmentally friendly, so much so in fact that in my city, our major outdoor gear stores refuse to stock it anymore. I was lucky enough to nab one of the last bottles of Storm proofing sometime ago, and I'll be damned if I'll ever find it again.

Personally, I much prefer flourocarbon based waterproofings. In my experience, and I've tried Nikwax on numerous occasions, Nikwax just doesn't cut it. The proofings don't last nearly as long as Storm or Grangers.

Anyway, it's really up to you the consumer to decide but I'm not much of a Nikwax guy anymore.

Cheers and I hope this helps!

Adam

Theo01

Mar 7, 2006
Gloucestershire, UK
I bought some Nikwax for a waxed jacket once - basically it was just watery PVA glue - a great dissapointment at £5.99. If I wanted PVA glue, I would have gone down to the craft shop and bought a huge bottle for 99p!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE