nikon d 3000

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
anyone own one and whats the pro's and cons of owning one

please put it in basic not photography jargen cos i am a conmplete novice but am a willing learner

the reason i ask is currys have quoted me 384 for the body with standed lense and a 4gb card and case your thoughts please

drew

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm a Canon man myself Drew but the Nikon D3000 is every bit as capable. One question? Have you ever used a DSLR before or a film SLR? There are an array of settings and functions that can put your head in a spin. If you're new to photography I'd go for a mid range compact first to see how you go, probably around the £100 mark you'll get a quite good one. Great for taking in the pack when you're out doing bushy stuff. Then if you really love your photography, step up to a DSLR. I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS15 with a Leica lens. they cost just over £100 and give great results. See here

http://www.buyacamera.co.uk/xsearch.asp?searchtype=Name&searchfor=PANASONICLUMIXFS15GRADED&pt=f

I'm sure other people will pop in and give you some good examples

Last edited:

Jericho

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2010
N.Wales
Don't think there are any cons. You can't go wrong with a Nikon (wish i'd never sold my Niks and switched to Canon)! :eek:

Pro's - The range of Lenses
Reasonably cheap accesories

As mentioned, it does come with an array of settings and functions but, you can always leave it in program mode(s) until you learn your way thru them.

(Oh, and 40 quid cheaper at Jessops)

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
thanks for the advice everyone and yes dave i have used an SLR but not really extensivly and have had a deceant digi camara for about three years and really like photography so want to step up the ladder in regards kit and D3000 from all the reviews is mint. so thought i would get one and if the replys keep as they are so far i think i will
go for it drew

Aug 22, 2009
Medway Kent
i am new to photography infact i only just got the camera a couple of weeks ago. but the d3000 is great i have tried using the differant settings but wen it gets confusing i just go back to auto :), but if you do get stuck and you want to know how to do anything just use the guide setting.

Aug 22, 2009
Medway Kent
i got the 18-55mm VR lens, and im saving up again to get the 55-200mm VR.

i got an 8gb sandisk but im thinking of getting a 16gb extreme card.

and i didnt get a bag with mine but i just got one from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G629-Camera-B...aAccessories_BagsCases_JN&hash=item25597cf0e7

and it seems fine, feels very sturdy and strong and it has room for an exra lens (when i get it) and lots of little pockets to put cleaning kit and filters in.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Drew, I have recently (last Sunday) purchased a Nikon D5000 from Jessops. After the usual internet market survey to find the best offer and best price it was Jessops all the way. They also do a six month 0% interest deal if it suits you. Buying from Jessops you can try two or three different cameras with expert advice before buying, a couple did just that while i was buying my outfit which included two lenses, 4gb card and a bag.

The D3000 is a good camera to start with (as you have had some SLR experience) it has an electronic advice guide to taking the best shots, and until you get to grips with all the intricacies, you can shoot in 'Auto' mode which will still give you good results. Furthermore on the Nikon website there is something called Digitutor, this provides user information with easy to follow videos on how to use the camera to its best. Hope this helps.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
nikons are great and as said jessops are very hard to beat in fact i believe they will beat any other price if it can be prooved to be real
uk only tried it here they were not having any of it but they are fun to play off against my high street shop
dont know if they have the half price tamron lense offer going on over there i got a 70/210 when i brought my d70 for 90quid its still in the box on used as i allready had lots of cigma kit
my local jessops had it on again last month i also have a d200 and an older f90x and f50 roll film

anyone own one and whats the pro's and cons of owning one

please put it in basic not photography jargen cos i am a conmplete novice but am a willing learner

the reason i ask is currys have quoted me 384 for the body with standed lense and a 4gb card and case your thoughts please

drew

£289 (+ delivery) here...

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-nikon-d3000-body.htm

A good 4gb card will cost you about £15...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SanDisk-Compact-Flash-4GB-Extreme-III-Memory-CF-CARD-_W0QQitemZ220592834909QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=54a4fe4b11d0a0aad5440184fead061d

So Just a little over £300 in total

I don't know if it's any good as I shoot Canons for 35mm digital. (Had Nikon film cameras for years). The best site for reviews is (27 page review)...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD3000/

I have a Nikon D70, D300 and got my wife a D3000 for her 40th birthday. It's a very capable bit of kit, she is new to digital photography and has found it pretty easy to use. The live view screen is very handy when shooting at odd angles. The only down side to Nikon is the software they provide, I have never liked it and use iphoto.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I have a Nikon D300 and love Nikon camera's

To be honest, Canon or Nikon it makes no difference. What you are buying into is a system. Both the manufactuers themselves and plenty of 3rd party companies produce excellent equipment for them.

That is the main advantage over the likes of Pentax, Olympus and Sony. Things are filtering through for them but Canon ot Nikon do everything you could ever want for a camera.

If you are looking for lenses have a look at Sigma lenses. I bought the 150-500mm lens to go with my D300 and have been very impressed with the results (including the "cheat" factor of the smaller sensor that makes it 200-750mm!!!) some of them are very sharp indead and about £4000 cheaper than the Nikon 200-400mm (Ok an f4 lens throughout the range but even so!).

Good luck with it and don't forget to post the results!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'd agree with the above: the standard Nikon 'plastic' lens you get with the camera is OK but you will quickly outgrow it. There is a compromise to be made in terms of cost/quality but I would suggest buying the body and card and then looking at Sigma or - better still - Tamron for a decent 'travel' lens.

I think the Tamron I got was a 30-300mm, glass lens, decent quality. Far better than the lens you get bundled with the camera and a better bet in the long term if you want to get more serious about your photography.

C

Craghopper

drew - if your serious about learning but have limited cash flow then you might want to consider a cheaper, older Nikon dslr. I just bought my brother, a novice but willing learner, a Nikon D70s for £175 posted and then picked up a Nikkor 28-100 AF lens off ebay for £45... that's £235 for a complete setup!! Okay they are second hand but come from a reputable commercial dealer on ebay and have a limited warrenty. Seriously good value for money. I played with the D3000 last week and found myself frustrated with it's limited capabilities once you had learnt the basics. The D70 and D70s are, imho, similar in fucntion and size to the D90 except for some obvious differences (lcd, os, sensitivity etc). Jeez, even the D40 is arguably better than the D3000.

I guess my point is that if your serious you shouldn't go buy a D3000 because it's a 'beginner' camera, you should do some more research and spend your money wisely ;)

Read the reviews: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/index.htm

I did and ended up a happy bunny!

Oh and don't get me wrong, I don't hate the D3000, I just think they're a bit of a waste of money.

CH

Edit: Before I get flamed remember drew stated he's really into photography and wants to learn, if he had said he wants an all-rounder camera to take pics of all things general and wants additional lenses (albeit expensive ones) I'd say the D3000 is a perfect camera ;) I just think it lacks the ability to teach the user about cameras after a certain point where other, older Nikon cameras don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wildjim

An SLR camera system is really an investment in lenses as you can always upgrade the camera body.

With either Canon or Nikon you can't go wrong.

I used Nikon in the film days and switched to Canon for digital. I also have a Nikon D40 which is excellent.

My plan is to stick with inexpensive Canon SLR bodies until the "full frame" bodies come down in price and or it reaches 25.7 mega pixels which is the equivalent of 35 mm film size and resolution.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE