Nice meal but what's this plant?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
After catching some nice Plaice and gathering together some Sea Lettuce (sliced and fried in sesame oil and served with light soy), some Sea Purslane (lightly boiled and dressed in rice-wine vinegar), some Sea Beet/Spinach (steamed and buttered) and some Samphire (steamed and buttered). On the way home I picked some bilberries to make a billberry and honey milkshake so I could wash down my free meal.

Growing next to the Samphire (low-margin saltmarsh) was this?Can anyone ID for me? Its not Samphire...but my ID books don't have it (or I am rubbish and cannot ID which is more likely to be the case!

???
IMGP1660.jpg

A close-up
IMGP1661.jpg

The Samphire
IMGP1662.jpg

The Sea Lettuce
IMGP1666.jpg

The Sea Beet
IMGP1667.jpg

The Sea Purslane
IMGP1668.jpg

The Bilberries
IMGP1687.jpg

The pyschodelic shake!
IMGP1690.jpg

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Is it a succulent of a sort?

Maybe a variety of Crassula?

Surely not grown wild over here though...?

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
I'd suggest Annual Seablite (Suaeda maritima).

Pfaf has a listing for it and other types of seablite as being edible & describe it as pleasantly salty - I haven't tried it myself yet though.

How did you get on with the Sea Lettuce? I always find it not unlike chewing on a plastic carrier bag and about as flavoursome.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I'd suggest Annual Seablite (Suaeda maritima).

Pfaf has a listing for it and other types of seablite as being edible & describe it as pleasantly salty - I haven't tried it myself yet though.

How did you get on with the Sea Lettuce? I always find it not unlike chewing on a plastic carrier bag and about as flavoursome.

Thanks - might be that. Is it edible?

As for the Sea Lettuce. I kind of agree. Yet making it crispy by shallow frying it in a nutty oil and then adding a flavour to it like soy sauce made up for its lack of taste. Frying gets it away from the plackie-bag feel to it.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Not many references I can find but where I have fround them, it is described as edible.

I think it's likely to be one of those plants you can eat, but isn't madly inspiring so use it as an ingredient in a mixed salad perhaps. I suspect that it would pickle pretty well, being succluent and similar to samphire.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
After catching some nice Plaice and gathering together some Sea Lettuce (sliced and fried in sesame oil and served with light soy), some Sea Purslane (lightly boiled and dressed in rice-wine vinegar), some Sea Beet/Spinach (steamed and buttered) and some Samphire (steamed and buttered). On the way home I picked some bilberries to make a billberry and honey milkshake so I could wash down my free meal.

Growing next to the Samphire (low-margin saltmarsh) was this?Can anyone ID for me? Its not Samphire...but my ID books don't have it (or I am rubbish and cannot ID which is more likely to be the case!

???
IMGP1660.jpg

A close-up
IMGP1661.jpg
What does it smell like, I've picked rock samphire as little as half a metre from the tide line,

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Inula crithmoides has large-ish yellow daisy like flowers so if it's that you should definitely spot them by now.

Batis maritima (saltwort) has quite club-like leaves and weird little cone like flowers at the junction between stem and leaf joint. Both are pretty distinctive & should help you with your id.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE