NFC Tags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does any of the hivemind know alot about NFC tags?

What you can do with them? what you can get them to hold and how or what they communicate too?

Can you programme and read with I-Phone & Android etc

I basically need an idiots field guide.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I bought a strip of them a few years ago about 25mm disks with an adhesive back I think they run at about 40p each.

If you download NFC Tool for Android you'll see what you can do with them but the brief list is:
Text, URL, Social Network links (URLs again), Create a prefilled E-mail, Add contact details, Add Location Details, Add Wifi Details.

I don't use them overly regularly but I do have one by the front door so if gusts want to get on my Wifi they just tap their phones and it loads them up. I also made a leather key fob for someone with their contact details so they could use that instead of a business card.

You can lock them from being edited too, I've used this on a few bikes before with my details in, you just have to put the tag where it won't get removed easily, the bottom bracket is normally a good place.

You can get various apps where you can program your phone when it taps a tag, if you switch your work phone to silent as you enter the house you could put a tag by the door and tap it on the way in.

In terms of communicating you've got a solid state chip which stores the information on. As you approach it with the phone the phone generates the power for the chip to work (similar to wireless charging). They last for years and can be easily reused elsewhere.

Reactions: Stew and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Cheers for that.

I'm thinking how I can make my role of Parish Tree warden a bit more , inventive - I'm thinking theses NCF tags maybe the key to getting a connection with the littler people and family via nature trails and such like.

Scan an item ( Tree ) - hyperlink to everything about that tree.

Thoughts?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have a gander at this then...

I'm liking the way these things could make access a lot easier to nature for those of us that live on our phones.

Cool tech

I was really interested by seeing the potential size of them.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
They can be really tiny but then you've got the balance of visibility if you want people to use them or discretion if you want them to not be found. Next time you walk past a bus stop in a town, have a look as to where and what size the NFC tag is they usually have one for the ad company.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Link to audio content might be good. Can tell them to look at various features of the tree. It's bark, leaves etc. Though might need seasonal variation.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I bought a strip of them a few years ago about 25mm disks with an adhesive back I think they run at about 40p each.

If you download NFC Tool for Android you'll see what you can do with them but the brief list is:
Text, URL, Social Network links (URLs again), Create a prefilled E-mail, Add contact details, Add Location Details, Add Wifi Details.
This is really interesting! I think I’m going to get some to play with.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
They can be really tiny but then you've got the balance of visibility if you want people to use them or discretion if you want them to not be found. Next time you walk past a bus stop in a town, have a look as to where and what size the NFC tag is they usually have one for the ad company.

Agreed and understood.

I was thinking of a slightly different angle - think - near impossible Geocaching in small areas - you'd need to basically espionage 'sweep' the whole area to find the tag and read it. Make quite the super OCD treasure hunt.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Might be a fun compass training aid.
If each tag had instructions to turn x degrees left/right, and walk y meters. Would mean have to discover all the tags in the correct order to get to the final destination.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Might be a fun compass training aid.
If each tag had instructions to turn x degrees left/right, and walk y meters. Would mean have to discover all the tags in the correct order to get to the final destination.

Nice one. Like that idea and a B-stard of a sickener to get right.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, and a few obstacles so can't always walk in a straight line from tag to tag.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
I like the sound of the info about the tree etc, you could combine it with a small QR code for people who have phones without NFC. I spent a fair bit of time stood under/patrolling a stretch of road in Sheffield to stop amey/scc from chopping trees down at 3am.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I like the sound of the info about the tree etc, you could combine it with a small QR code for people who have phones without NFC. I spent a fair bit of time stood under/patrolling a stretch of road in Sheffield to stop amey/scc from chopping trees down at 3am.

If you are reading this - You ARE the Resistance..

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I was thinking one could also apply this to Plant life also - for those wanting to 'learn' plantlife the initial struggle can be to identify the plants at all times of the year - even when its not obvious.

Known and identified plants could have a small TAG put beside them and would allow newbie/beginners to build up that information quicker - a sort of Plant based wildlife trail.

Reactions: stevec

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE