newbie..... wants to start some basic leatherworking

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Guys and Gals

I'm looking at trying my hand at some type of leather project however i don't really know where to start in terms of tools etc? anyone able to assist me on what things i should have / need and be willing to answer silly questions on various things?

Pete

i don't normally go for "kits" as things tend to be cheap stuff that you tend to throw away but in this field i'm totally new how does this actually look and it is a good start or should i put together a list of my own?
http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-gbp/home/department/Beginning-Leather-Kits/55510-00.aspx

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....have a look in the diy section for this....

travel leather working kit Started by man_of_tanith‎, Today 03:13

there youll see the basics....i buy from le prevo.....but many use tandy also....i'm not a lover of kits either....and not at 65 quid.

for just a bit more you could get yaself a nice 12sq ft hide of full grain veg tan and the few important tools and a couple of pots of dye.

regards

a

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
thanks for the heads up guys i'm going to make a list and way for monday (pay day) and get a couple of basic things to start me off and go from there should be good fun, want to make sheath or two and a couple of small items so will start out simple with a axe mask i think and go from there

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
got a couple of basic tools on route and time to see how i get on with a axe mask over the next couple of weeks (time permitting) thanks for the advice

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I'm still dabbling with leather. I've found I can now get away without using 'proper' tools. I use a £1.99 lemon zester from Morrison's. It'll carve out a good groove, and press top down for stitch marking.
56b91678-cb65-41a4.jpg

56b91678-cb78-e9f5.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Leather and tools should be here today :) excited!!! hopefully get time after the weekend to do some things and see how i get on with the axe sheath............ however the Adjustable Stitching Groover won't be here till next week so can't do that bit yet.....

But as its nice weather this weekend will be out and about with the kids :)

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
more pics added waiting for the dye to dry now :) (can't do the leather stitching as i don't have a groover atm (it arrives next week) so hopefully i won't screw it up to much as i like the look of it so far

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE