Newbie Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 7, 2010
solihull
Hi guys,

I'm just getting into bushcraft but do not want to spend loads on gear, do any you have ideas for me, any input will be valued greatly.

Thanks

Dom

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
What Daniel said...
Most of the frosts knives are cheap and good quality
Frosts Clipper
Frosts Mora
Frosts Viking

All do a great job for a realistic price (you should get change from a tenner)

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
as said all ready moras are good and cheap. cudeman do a realy nice bush knife ive got the olive handled one iam not one to spend alot on kit.
I think this knife is well worth the 35quid comes with nice sheath to :) check it out at ,bladetech,

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Is there a difference between a frost clipper and a frost mora? I thought it was a frosts mora clipper. The green ones that is. Oh whatever, they're all pretty good and useful things.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I think the difference is in the sheath, rather than the knife itself.
On a Clipper, it'll "clip" to your belt, on standard Mora's, you have to thread them onto your belt.

Eitherway, they punch above their weight for the money they cost.

Ogri the trog

Jakata

Dec 16, 2009
Northampton
Get yourself a Mora/clipper, I got mine from Lakeland Bushcraft. Top service

*No affiliation etc, just impressed over and over with the good service :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was actually surprised by the blade on my green'un that clips onto the belt. I thought it was smaller than the impression on various website photos I saw. I don't know why I thought that but it was a definite "OH!" thoguht about the size. I'm not bothered by size as it looks quite a tough blade and very useable but just surprised me for some reason.

It was a carbon steel blade so it was a darker blade than stainless steels and had an almost mottled coulour/texture to it - the patina I think it is called. Looks good and should work well when I get out in weekend after this one.

Well worth getting,

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Second Jakarta's comment about Lakeland Bushcraft. I ordered it late wednesday pm and it came thursday! In a jiffy envelope inside some bubble wrap. That meant I had minutes of fun popping bubble after the several minutes admiring the mora knife! There's a child in all of us isn't there and bubble wrap brings it out of us.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
yeh, i have a mora too, great knife and holds an edge like nothing else stainless!
the only not so good bit is the plastic sheath which dosent hold the knife as snugly as i would want, hoping to replace it with leather soon

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Personally, I'm a fan of the Frosts in fluorescent orange - this makes it far harder to loose the knife if you're newer to the whole thing. It's also about the same cost.

The only draw-back is that it comes in stainless steel only, which is great if you're near the coast, but makes it harder to sharpen.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Hi guys,

I'm just getting into bushcraft but do not want to spend loads on gear, do any you have ideas for me, any input will be valued greatly.

Thanks

Dom

If you want some ideas about kit Dom may i suggest you have a day out next weekend at the meet at Rough Close in Coventry? , may give you some useful tips on what kit folks are using. You don't need to camp if you don't want to, just come over for a few hours or the day or whatever. Folks will readily have a chat and show you their gear and give you some sound advice.:D

Mar 7, 2010
solihull
I would but it depends if i can get there ive only just turned 18 and last year could not bring myself to learn to drive had too many other things going on and there was a lack of money, but ill see what i can arrange =],

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I would but it depends if i can get there ive only just turned 18 and last year could not bring myself to learn to drive had too many other things going on and there was a lack of money, but ill see what i can arrange =],

There's a train station close by, you might need to get into town then come back out, i don't know though, i only go from Stourbridge to Snow Hill so i don't know what the links are over Solihull way to Cov.:dunno:

Your more than welcome to stop by if you do mate.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE