Newbie knife advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I'm not a fan or Moras either. I have a few, had a few more, but not really a fan of them. I'd have a Opinel or SAK over one any day. Hultafors I tend to snap.
They are fine and part of the learning curve until you know what you want. I'm not a fan of Woodlore and Bushy knives either. I think too many Puukko's are over built and when that happens lesser for it. A patch sized knife should be hell sharp and to me thin, because they are for cutting.

The trend is to make knives do far more than they ever used to. Sadly too many are overbuilt. Knives for heavy tasks may well need more steel but then they should have a guard. Hunting knives should have a guard, combat knives (so uncool to call them that) and Survival knives should too.

Either a blade should be thin to carry a keen edge, or if built robust with some size and then requires a guard, well at least a lower.

Final size are choppers. I've put a thread up on the Skrama which I rate but really after that, or a billhook, then its work for an axe, saw, or framing chisel.

Last edited:

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I'll add my two cents worth.. and it's mora all the way. Carbon steel will be easier to maintain an edge on, especially if you are new to sharpening a scandi. Once you have that down you will have an idea of the features you like from the mora and what design you think would suit you well for the next upgrade.

GoingFeral

Mar 20, 2016
Sheffield
Mora companion hd - very pleased with mine. OK plastic handle & sheath but cheap enough to learn with & not worry about breaking it. See John Fenna's post #12 - I can't put it better

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE