Newbie from Leeds, West Yorkshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Hey everyone,

I'm Fergs, a complete newbie to the art of bushcraft. It's been an interest of mine for a while but not something i've ever had the chance to enjoy. After working far too hard for far too long and feeling guilty about missed time with the kids, i've decided to delve into bushcraft as a means of education and well spent time with my daughter, who turns 11 this year. She's quite interested in the basics of bushcraft, which i hope we can study together and learn from each other. Skills that will last a lifetime are something i try to teach her as often as i can, as you never know when this knowledge could save your life, as well as be a form of enjoyment and relaxation for when things take a downward turn.

After browing the site for an hour or two, i've set my eyes on a few pieces of kit i'd like to start with, mostly just for day trips. Ideally i'm looking to start with shelter building and creating and sustaining fire from natural resources. Things that you can learn but never truely master.

If anyone has any hints, tips or warnings, then please feel free to reply on here or pm me. I know how to take advice and criticism and this isnt the type of lifestyle you rush into headfirst, as preparation is everything. It's definitely something i want to take and nurture, so if the needs ever arise...

Fergs

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Fergs, welcome to the forum. The best time of my week is out in the woods with my kids. Hope your new hobby brings you and your Daughter lots of fun and memorable moments.
Kal.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Thanks a lot dude. I've got plenty of reading to do before i even think about stepping out there to do anything with fire or a blade but all in good time. Rome wasnt built in a day. :)

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
I certainly didnt expect such a warm welcome. Thanks to you all for making me feel welcome.

I've spent way too much time on here the last couple of days reading through everything i can find.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
I did see those but im nowhere near ready for overnight stays yet. I've been talking it over with her indoors about when i can start buying kit. So it's gunna be a piece or two at a time and a slow drawn out process. Then there's my daughters kit to get as well. Gunna take it slow and practice the basics together first and might advertise a "meet" to see if anyone wants to come along and show/advise some newbies on where we're going right or wrong.

Thanks for pointing it out though :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE