Newbie from Ireland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John30IRE

Apr 20, 2020
Ireland
Hi guys,

Im John and Im new to the forum. I have recently got into the whole bushcraft scene and bought myself a new Lavvuu.

Can anyone recommend a good stove or if anyone is selling one it would be great. Ive been looking at a Honey Stove or the Bushcraft Essentials Bushbox LF.

Many Thanks,

John

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi John, welcome to the forum.

As far as stoves are concerned you'll probably get as many answers as there are active members :). I use a couple of different stoves at the moment -if I can't have a campfire - a cheap (£20) version of the Jetboil for quick hot drinks when I don't have time to stop too long and a cheap (£15) version of the woodgas stove - both serve me well :) The latter gives out a surprising amount of heat so acts a bit like a one-man (or even two) camp fire!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome!
I tend to rely on Trangia burners - or similar meths burners - in various stands... when I use a stove at all.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Welcome!

Do you mean an oven to heat the lavvu or do you mean a stove to heat a soup?

(Should that question seem to be stupid, you should know that I am no native English speaker. In German the meanings of both words are a bit mixed together.)

For cooking it depends for how many people you want to cook, where, when in the year, do you want to carry it in your rucksack over longer distances or not?

If you mean a wood burning tent heating, it would be interesting, which tent you use.

John30IRE

Apr 20, 2020
Ireland
Welcome!

Do you mean an oven to heat the lavvu or do you mean a stove to heat a soup?

(Should that question seem to be stupid, you should know that I am no native English speaker. In German the meanings of both words are a bit mixed together.)

For cooking it depends for how many people you want to cook, where, when in the year, do you want to carry it in your rucksack over longer distances or not?

If you mean a wood burning tent heating, it would be interesting, which tent you use.
I kinda want something just to boil water and cook something small, I would like something like the Bushcraft Essentials Bushbox LF or similar but they seem pretty expensive.
Is there any second hand ones available or is anyone selling one?

Thanks

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Because you are new to bushcraft I ask you back, if you thought about for the beginning to use a simple Ananas Tin?

They usually aren't coated with plastic. You could cut a few holes in it and use it as a stove. You can put it in a plastic bag and carry it in the pot.

Than you have time enough to wait for a second hand stove...

An other option is to hang the pot over a fire. That is what I prefere.

For example has the 12 cm Zebra Billy Can a volume of 1,4 litres and you could later store a usual 250g gas ventile cartouche and a gas stove in it, what in dry conditions is a good idea.
This pot you can hang over a fire, you can stand it directly in a wood fire or on amber.
It fits in a 2 litres zebra Billy can, 14 cm, if you later want a second pot if you want to cook for 2 persons a meal and tea.

Such pots exist as well in very light titanium versions for trekking, the zebra pots are pretty bomb proof but relatively heavy. Similar options of other producers exist as well, of course.

Last edited:

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
Hi John, your very welcome to the forum, the wealth of knowledge here 2nd only to the amount of trees in Wicklow!

I tend to use either a converted IKEA strainer to act as a twig burner or a small gas number, Coillte aren’t keen on fires lol

im in Kilkenny so not far away

Reactions: John30IRE

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hi guys,

Im John and Im new to the forum. I have recently got into the whole bushcraft scene and bought myself a new Lavvuu.

Can anyone recommend a good stove or if anyone is selling one it would be great. Ive been looking at a Honey Stove or the Bushcraft Essentials Bushbox LF.

Many Thanks,

John
John, a Tomshoo rocket stove is a superb and cheap option. I bought one then went on to buy everyone I know one as well. You can burn anything in it. I m in Ireland also. If I can help with any thing let me know. Dale

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hi guys,

Many Thanks,

John
Hey John give us a shout out . I m in Northern Ireland also. Dale

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE