new zebra billies question

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I've looked at the new zebra billies and they have a locking lid,the clips seem to be made from some sort of plastic.Does anybody have one and are the clips up to being used over an open fire?If not are they easily removed,the bail will come off any way.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was wondering the same thing as well Chris

billy-can-componants.jpg

They are designed for cooking with so you would hope they've used something suitable. I reckon they could be removed but I'm not sure they'd go back on again after though.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They always used to have a plastic clip (though not quite as big as those). I just snapped them off and chucked em

Red

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
They are removable but I was hoping they'd be heat resistant.I suppose they would be if used on a burner of sone sort but I'm not so sure about flames licking up the side of the pot.
I've ordered one so I think a bit of testing is in the offing,I'll post here how I get on.

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
First thing I did was chuck the clips in the bin :) Wouldn't fit in my hobo otherwise.
I see Bushcraftstore uk has the 10cm ones back in stock. Might grab one while I can.
Cheers for the reminder!..

Simon

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Ive seen a few of them with the plastic clips and they have all melted and been a right pain to remove after this. My advice would be to snap them off to :D

cheers Russ

jack by the hedge

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2009
Leeds, W.yorks
I've had mine for 3 years now. On the first night out over a fire the plastic melted on one side while i went for a pee ( clearly it had been going that way for a while but i didn't notice, i wasn't just having an incredibly long pee).

It just fell out once i knocked it with a stick. I left the other on as a lock for when i'm picking up water and just keep that side out of the flames.

It's horses for courses really.

jbth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE