New Year Shakedown - New Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clive.s

Aug 8, 2010
Hampshire
After a long stint of lazy-induced-feckless-sedentary-chocolate-eating-wasting ... I decided to shakedown my gear and shakeup my legs!

I thought I'd review my gear as I walked:

Boots - Asolo 535 - 80%
Perfect as always, but when they finally die I'll consider a lighter, easier to wet, easier to drain boot for bush walking...

Socks - Thorlo Hikers - 70%
I'm 95% sold on my Thorlos, but they do tend to give up the ghost after the first 6 hours

Gaiters - Outdoor Reasearch Crocodiles - 100%
I ♡ my gaiters, a lot. In fact, I'm just going to call it - It would take a serious amount of convincing and freebies to get me to consider hiking in anything but the Asolo+Thorlo+OR combination.

Shorts - Macpac Fast Eddy - 90%
Well, it was howling a raining gale today, so for a few minutes I did consider something more substantial for the nether-region-covering-apparel, but then the torrential rain eased to heavy rain and they dried out enough to be perfectly comfortable. The right pocket is big enough to carry my map case, and the left pocket has a clip in there which I attach my compass lanyard too.

Underpants - HELP! - 0%
Hand on, erm, heart... what do you walk in? Cotton is great for a short walk, lightweight synthetics for a bit longer, but I'm still yet to find the holy grail of pants. Suggestions?

Base Layer - Fairydown Wicking Tee - 100%
I love wearing a wicking tee as a base layer, blistering sun, rain, hale, snow, I never notice it's there.

Mid Layer - Kathmandu Thermaskin Pullover - Not used
It sat in my day pack today, all day, normally it's a perfect piece of kit, windproofish, warm, easy to move in. But today, it was usurped buy...

Fleece - Rab Shadow Hoodie - 100%?
Holy cow, what a great piece of kit this is! I rode my ancient british 3-speed to Bournemouth yesterday to treat myself a new layer. I wanted something that would be great in mild wet weather or as an insulating layer in colder weather. As today started out with 12ºc with heavy rain and strong winds, then dropped to 6ºc with clear skies and strong winds. It was still warm when soaked through, kind of felt like a light wetsuit, and very warm and dry when under my waterproof jacket.

Jacket - UK Army MVP Jacket - 75%
I'd be lying if I told you it was perfect, but it's pretty good, really. I never notice any water leaks, the map great pocket is handy, I just don't love the cut of it, the bottom velcro never really holds, the chest pockets are a bit naff, the hood is HUGE and I feel a bit like a dork wearing DPM... But, at the price I paid for it, it's great.

Beanie - Freebie Acrylic Shortened By Grandma - 70%
It was free, it fits perfectly, but, I'm sure there's a slightly hipper head covering out there for me.

Gloves - Kathmandu Liner Gloves - 40%
It is my own fault for wearing liners, but I only own liners or alpine mittens. What's a cheap, great, warm, warm when went, durable, easy to put on and take off - solution? Ideas?

Pack - Macpac Tuatara 25퓁 - 70%
As a day pack, it is fine. But I rock a 46 inch chest and it never quite fits. But that might be more me than the pack. I find the webbing on the front perfect for stashing my jacket under (which is huge and would take up half the pack). I bought the pack in a sale and cut out most of the internal pocketing/dividers, so it's more suited to what I want. Two big spaces and a front zip. It carries an ice-axe well too.

Compass - Silva Field 7 - 50%
This is only at 50% because it's a NZ weighted needle and I have to hold it on funny angles to get it to work. Which is my fault for being too tight to by a british compass.

Map case - Ortlieb - 100%
I'm massively skeptical because it is so light and pliable, but it's got a 5 year guarantee, so heck! It's a dream though, easy to seal, folds nicely, perfect size for my shorts.

Well, that's everything I used today - my route was:

Sway, NE through Setthorns, N under disused railway to Hinchelsea Wood, N over Red Hill, NNW through Rhinefield Sandy's Enclosure, NW to Anderwood car park (lunch), NNW through Anderwood Enclosure, N over Pound Hill (2nd lunch), W across Bolderwood Grounds, S down bike track, S past Smoky Hole, SW across Oakley Enclosure, 10 minutes dithering by flooded Blackensford Brook, SW across the rest of Oakley Enclosure, E at Burley Lawn, SE to Wilverly Post, SE across Wilverly Plain, back to Setthorns and home - TOTAL 30 km, 8.5 hours.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice report, any pics?

I love my OR Croc gaiters, one of my best buys of 2011

For undies I wear Smartwool boxers, good for at least a month without washing :)

clive.s

Aug 8, 2010
Hampshire
Nice report, any pics?

I love my OR Croc gaiters, one of my best buys of 2011

For undies I wear Smartwool boxers, good for at least a month without washing :)

Hrm... Camera - Olympus OM1...
Film camera, deeply wrapped in watertight stuff sacks for fear of ruining it. Not ideal really.

Smartwool aye, I'll have a look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE