New ways with Demijohns

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
one hell of a molotov cocktail !

:lmao:

I use one to store hazelnuts, they seem to last very well out in the shed.
If I buy them at the start of January when the supermarkets discount them to pennies instead of pounds per bag they last from one year end to the next :)....well they do on the occasional year I overstock. Usually enough to share with the squirrels too :)

cheers,
Toddy

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
If you 're storing them in a shed, make sure you stopper them - I went to get mine out ready for damson wine and 3 of the 4 demijohns had a mummified wood mouse in! Took ages to clean them out.

How about bottle gardening? Very popular in the 70's and 80's!

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
I got some tiny brass cleaning balls, I think they were called magic cleaning balls from ebay. You add them with hot soapy water to the demijohn and shake them about, and it knocks all the dirt away. it can take some time if the demi johns are dirty but they work really well. Just empty the water out through a seive to collect the balls again :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
keep them dude, when you have made 1 full of wine settle in another then mature for a year in another once settled....

tust me, if you have the room keep them, when you have a wine making blits they will come in handey, also dont forget you can make cider and ginger beer in them all year round.....

regards.

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE