New Toy...

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've just come into the possession of a new toy...a 1955 MOD Issue Billhook...it needs a bit of work to get it in good working order but most importantly it needs a good sheath.
To that end I need a good piece of 3 - 3.5mm Veg Tan leather. Now I could buy some from LePrevo but at £5.51 per sq.ft at a minimum of 10 - 12 sq.ft thats at least £60 - 70 I'd need to spend :-\
Unless any of you good folk are willing to part with a piece big enough to make a good sheath... ;-)
I'm willing to trade for cash for a reasonable price.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
A friend of mine who teaches hedge laying was telling me that billhooks should be hollow ground. Most modern ones I've seen aren't, what's this one?

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Never heard of a hollow ground 'hook, let alone seen one; why would you ever do that, I wonder? They were always made with a convex edge, and kept that way with a coffin stone worn in a pouch on the belt, much like hatchets and axes.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm no expert, but I have five 'hooks and a slasher that I use as a hook/drawknife/ light chopper, made by Elwell and Brades, and all of which I've had for many years; all the 'hooks have a convex edge with a secondary bevel and the slasher is flat ground and were like that when I got them. I've done a lot of hedge laying and coppicing work in the past and all the men I've worked with have had the same tools with the same edges.............

I know that there are regional preferences for tools and how they are used, and so can only speak for SE Wales where I live and worked.

In my experience the flat grind of the slasher, which I use without the long handle, is great for cutting through stuff, eg for cutting birch saplings clean off to go to the racecourses for the hurdles etc., whereas the convex hooks are ideal for going
three-quarters through Hazel, Holly and the likes when laying a hedge; I think the flat-ground blade has too much bite for the work where you need to leave just the right amount of living wwod when laying.

As said, I'm far from expert; just my tuppence worth..............:)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Well the fella is a farmer in his late 60s. Teaches hedgelaying in yorkshire and restores furniture. It may just be his personal preference but given his experience I'd not argue with him. ☺

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd be the last person to say he's wrong; I just find it interesting to exchange experiences and thoughts on stuff like this, It's the best way to learn and I'm always open to new ideas and ways of going on..............

The next time I do any of this stuff I'll approach it with a fresh outlook; who knows what new techniques I might learn? :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'd be the last person to say he's wrong; I just find it interesting to exchange experiences and thoughts on stuff like this, It's the best way to learn and I'm always open to new ideas and ways of going on..............

The next time I do any of this stuff I'll approach it with a fresh outlook; who knows what new techniques I might learn? :)

Puzzled me too, given everyone I'd seen was convex or chisel ground.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well after all that John...I can pop round on Thursday...do you mind if Fiona comes with me..? She is still off work with her wrist.

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
I'm no expert, but I have five 'hooks and a slasher that I use as a hook/drawknife/ light chopper, made by Elwell and Brades, and all of which I've had for many years; all the 'hooks have a convex edge with a secondary bevel and the slasher is flat ground and were like that when I got them. I've done a lot of hedge laying and coppicing work in the past and all the men I've worked with have had the same tools with the same edges.............

I know that there are regional preferences for tools and how they are used, and so can only speak for SE Wales where I live and worked.

In my experience the flat grind of the slasher, which I use without the long handle, is great for cutting through stuff, eg for cutting birch saplings clean off to go to the racecourses for the hurdles etc., whereas the convex hooks are ideal for going
three-quarters through Hazel, Holly and the likes when laying a hedge; I think the flat-ground blade has too much bite for the work where you need to leave just the right amount of living wwod when laying.

As said, I'm far from expert; just my tuppence worth..............:)

Again no expert but I have competed in Hedgelaying comps as a young farmer - now many years ago ! And have only used flat grinds etc would be interested to see how your mate maintains the shape in the field (or edge thereof!!)

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
From what I've read, traditional Billhooks vary greatly from region to region and even from parish to parish so I guess it could be that your friends preference is locally derived.

On a related note, has anyone seen a guide or course into efficient and safe billhook use? I recently acquired a double-edged hook ( there's a straight cutting edge on the upper side) and would like to find out how not to injure myself:)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I can't talk about blade geometry with any degree of competence, just in general terms, and that's a sign of my lack of knowledge of the subject in any formal sense.............

Probably best to describe what I'm saying by calling it a chisel edge, kept that way with what we here call a coffin stone, a carborundum jobby I think, and the boys that work at the hedging and make money from it would strop as well; although it's now all powertools and silky saws...............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE