New to Bushcraft - Hello from the Sunny(?) South East (East Sussex)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Hello to One and All,
I am probably what you would call an old codger, not far off retirement age. Which makes it all the more puzzling that I have only recently heard about bush-craft, completely by chance, when reading an article about camping and clicked on a link to a bush-craft website.
Since then, I have found and read articles and blogs daily. I find it very interesting because, as a kid, I built shelters and cooked over a fire (using my mother's best frying pan). I would cook veg from my father's veg patch and fry up sausages. What I found remarkable is how much 'bush-craft stuff' I already owned before I even heard about bush-craft. I have 5 rucksacks of various sizes; various 'bum bags'; tent; sleeping bag; a 30-year-old Victorinox folding penknife with a 2.5" blade, a saw, a can-opener, a cork-screw and an awl; a Mora fixed blade knife; a Fiskars axe; compass; a magnifying glass; first-aid kit; a micro-Leatherman; that's all I can think of at the moment. For years I have always carried 'stuff' in my bag or pockets, what I now realise some people call this an EDC or Every-Day Carry so that I have little tools to deal with little problems that may arise. So it has with a sense of deja-vu that I have read the articles and blogs about bush-crafting.
Now, having said all that, whilst I have done a little camping it was mostly on camp-sites (sometimes I did camp in the wild but that was a long, long time ago). And it's never really been bush-crafting. So I am a complete newbie to the subject.
This site seems to be a mine of information and I intend to browse because no doubt any question I could ask has been asked and answered already so I will be trawling for answers to my (possible somewhat naïve) questions. The sort of things I will be researching are as follows:
1. How do you go about finding a woodland where you are allowed to cut up or collect dead wood for a fire and then go and light a fire? My gut feeling is that you probably aren't allowed to do this in a public wooded areas around where I live.
2. Which is best - a tarp and a hammock rather than a tent? My initial thoughts are that a tent can be pitched on any level patch, whereas you need suitable support for the tarp and hammock? And a tent probably gives better protection from the wind. A pop-up tent gives you instant shelter....
3. As an alternative shelter, does anyone use one of those fishing shelters? Open on one side, they are sort of mid-way between a tarp and a tent.
4. Bush-craft courses are very expensive. Some are ridiculously expensive and I cannot understand why? Do some/most bush-crafters take these courses or do people just experiment/self-teach from You-tube etc. ?
Sorry for going on so long.
I'm really enjoying reading through the site/forum.
Regards,
Mike.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi mike, welcome from a fellow sussex boy. there is a sussex bushcraft group that meets up every month in forest row.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum Mike :)

Answers for your Q's

1. For gaining access and wild camping have a read of these sticky threads. They have some good guidelines and advice.

Land access

Wild camping

2. You'll never get a proper answer to that... there's those who will advocate hammocking as the best thing going since sliced bread and those who'll say it's tents that are the best. End of the day it boils down to personal choice. Myself I'm a ground dweller under a tarp and love it :)

3. You can do several pitches with a tarp that do the same as one of the fishing shelters you refer to. For example google Adirondack wind shed, it's a great shelter and easy to erect with a tarp.

4. Some folks do courses and say they learnt a lot, some say they wouldn't do one as they're a waste of money. I've done a few and gained a lot out of them, more than I would have learnt trying things out by myself. Again, like the hammock and tent it boils down to personal taste.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi Mike, welcome and enjoy.

Like Mesquite, I'm a ground dweller under a tarp, but I also have a hammock I use occasionally. As said it all comes down to personal choice.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hi and welcome.

Best way to get into it is to go along to one of the meets - you'll find lots of people only too willing to welcome you and give you a hand and advice, and for a nominal sum you'll get to camp in a wood legally! Don't get carried away initially on buying lots of kit - that'll no doubt come in time, but you might get a better idea of what's best for your particular circumstances after a while!

Age isn't a problem - lots of us old fogeys about:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE