New to all this (Give me some recipes)

RedAndPeane

Jul 17, 2009
Brighton!
Well I'm new to this whole business of foraging for food, so I need some tips.

How can I tell what is good to eat (Apart from extensive research) Are there any defining features of plants I should NOT eat?

What is the best way to harvest plants? What parts can I take?

How do I cook them? What is the best way?

And finally can anyone give me some recipes to try using just foraged plants. I'm looking for tasty nutritious recipes that could be easily made at home or in the wild :)

Peace
Akai-Chan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well I'm new to this whole business of foraging for food, so I need some tips.

How can I tell what is good to eat (Apart from extensive research) Are there any defining features of plants I should NOT eat?

What is the best way to harvest plants? What parts can I take?

How do I cook them? What is the best way?

And finally can anyone give me some recipes to try using just foraged plants. I'm looking for tasty nutritious recipes that could be easily made at home or in the wild :)

Peace
Akai-Chan

Welcome aboard!

Unfortunately, you have answered your own question right away. The only way is extensive research, finding out what is in your area and what you can eat and how to prepare it is the only way to get on with wild foods. You wouldn't eat a random mushroom without checking it isn't highly toxic first, would you? There are some highly toxic plants out there too, Hemlock water dropwort being considered to be possibly the most poisonous plant in Europe and on of many other poisonous plants! No point taking a risk for a bit of free food, but it's best to go out with somebody who knows what they are doing, you'll learn so much more that way.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I'd start by getting a good book. I like Roger Phillips, but there are lots of others, I believe the Richard Mabey one is very popular.

Start off by sticking to things that are easily recognisable and can't be easily confused with other, poisonous things... And ask lots of questions! You can take pics and post them here, and ask for help with ID-ing.

I always used to avoid the Umbillifer family completely as there are some NASTY members, but I've made it a project to learn as many as possible and feel much more confident now. I still wouldn't eat anything though, unless I was ABSOLUTELY sure what it was.

Mostly I find it's just a case of spending lots of time geekily looking at plants very close up, smelling them and feeling them and the like, and looking like a weirdo! :D

Have fun...

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I would say as above although I am no authority on the subject!
What I would say that alot of people talk of poisonous/edible but please remember everybody that just because a plant is edible doesn't mean you may not be allergic to it!
I would always suggest the trying a small amount on the lip etc chewing and not swallowing to see if you are allergic.
dave

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I always used to avoid the Umbillifer family completely as there are some NASTY members, but I've made it a project to learn as many as possible and feel much more confident now.

Sorry for the mini-hijack, but umbilifers are a nightmare aren't they? I can never pick one from the other and all I hear in my mind are John Wiseman's words "Do not confuse with Water Hemlock". How did you get to grips with them?

RedAndPeane

Jul 17, 2009
Brighton!
Thankyou all for responses :) I'm hoping eventually to make a lifestyle out of it (My plan is to basically become nomadic) So I need to learn about plants etc all around the UK. I'm starting doing research slowly but I'm never sure where to begin. If someone can point me in the right direction with regards to books/sites etc I'd be most obliged :)

Peace
Akai-Chan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Welcome aboard

You do need to do the research on plants ect, but remember, you won't live all year round on foraging in the UK, very doubtful at best.

The hunter gatherers of the past in the UK moved on to become communities, farmers, etc so be realistic about your aims. They did this because it was a sustainable way of living.

Good luck
Richard

RedAndPeane

Jul 17, 2009
Brighton!
My intent is to gather plants for food where I can and also to hunt for rabbits etc (I go ferreting :)) So I wouldn;t be looking to live mainly off foraged food all year long.

Peace
Akai-Chan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE