New tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Cotton wool mixed with coal dust. Easy to light, burns well and long.

This weekend I'm going to try is with vaseline too. :-D :-D :-D

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Does vaseline burn? I know it is made from petroleum but i thought it was completely useless when it came to burning!

thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Cotton wool and vaseline is brilliant. Waterproof yet will light from a spark! :!: :-D

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Brilliant, we have a tub of it somewhere, i'll have to try it! :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Both the cotton wool and the lint have to be made up of natural material. Cotton wool can come as a mix of cotton and man made stuff, as can the lint, neither of these burn so well.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Powderburn said:
JakeVaseline-soaked cotton balls burn for several minutes. Great tinder. :cool:

How do you soak anything in vaseline ? Surely it's far too solid, unless you heat it up first :-? or is it just a case of smearing the cotton wool with a load of vaseline?

Cheers

Mark

S

Strider

spose you could melt it then pour it on..but everyone just smears the cotton ball with the stuff -burns for quite a while.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
smearing is good. sparks won't work if the cotton wool is overly soaked with vaseline. lots of guys will stuff a 35mm film canister full of vaseline smeared cotton wool balls. eventually the vaseline seems to even out.

i got a load of tiny zip lock bags from a rock'n'gem show. i can make great little individual packets. it seems that the vaseline degrades the bags after longterm storage, or perhaps it's just hard to open a vaseline covered bag. but they often rip. so i just cut the bag and burn the lot, works a treat.

cheers,and.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
sargey said:
smearing is good. sparks won't work if the cotton wool is overly soaked with vaseline. lots of guys will stuff a 35mm film canister full of vaseline smeared cotton wool balls. eventually the vaseline seems to even out.

Yeah, that's what I did, just rub the cotton wool with vaseline, it's messy and takes time, but if you do a big batch of it, it's worth the effort. You'll be amazed how much you can tightly pack into a film can or old aspirin container. You also need very little to cath a flame and burn for some time, you should be able to pull apart the cotton balls to get a few fires from each.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
That's it - the cotton wool catches the spark, the vaseline acts as fuel and the coal dust adds a bit more heat and longevity to the deal, meaning damp fuel is less of a problem!

Curdog

Nov 18, 2003
In my experience, a plain cotton ball will burn for about 45 seconds, a vaseline smeared ball will go for about 4 minutes with a hot flame.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
If you do heat the stuff up to melt it be aware that it can really stink. I have had some success dipping the balls in the molten Vaseline, be careful no to get to much Vaseline soaked into the cotton balls though or it will not ignite. Another way of coating the balls is to put one in a bowl or mug, pour a little molten Vaseline in and shake it about, this way you have more control over how much it absorbs.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Don't heat it up in the microwave either!

I use the duel bowl method (like melting chocolate). Vaseline in one bowl heated by another bowl of water.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
vasaline does indeed react to degrade plastics which is why it isn't used a a lubricant in pnematic sytems. (the lube they use is the same as the stuff used for ultrasound)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE