New stove opinions and experience

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That was more so with the older leaded petrol. I tend to use COleman fuel if I can get it though.

Ah I see. I was recommended that coleman fuel actually to run a benzoline blowtorch as benzoline is no longer available so have half a bottle lying around. The stoves only get use if I'm cooking anything the missus hates the smell of (God forbid I have a kipper) and as I said in unfamiliar campsites. Are they fuel efficient? Or am I carrying a gallon of petrol here?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
For two people cooking stuff like proper stews from fresh veg and meat, and and fry ups, and brews all day. we were using around a gallon of petrol a fortnight iirc
That was real heavy use though
To clean I put a bottle of lighter fluid through it every now then, seems to give it a good blasting out

As for the plastic pumps. i had a tab that holds the plunger onto the main body of the pump break after 5 or 6 years. I glued it back on at the time and it still worked for ages before it got replaced, in fact i kept it as a spare and it still works after another 5 years or so

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
For two people cooking stuff like proper stews from fresh veg and meat, and and fry ups, and brews all day. we were using around a gallon of petrol a fortnight iirc
That was real heavy use though
To clean I put a bottle of lighter fluid through it every now then, seems to give it a good blasting out

As for the plastic pumps. i had a tab that holds the plunger onto the main body of the pump break after 5 or 6 years. I glued it back on at the time and it still worked for ages before it got replaced, in fact i kept it as a spare and it still works after another 5 years or so

Thanks sunndog, the old-school primus stoves are a bit thirsty was my thinking. Are the platic pump parts removable and replaceable? If so I might have to talk my mate John into letting me borrow his lathe for a day!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It was available as of last week at my local Taunton Leisure! You'll sometimes come across it called white gas.

I thought white gas was naptha and benzoline was unrefined benzene with toluene and xylene and all kinds of other nasties?

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I thought it was the stuff called panel wipe that you sometimes see recommended that could be all sorts of things. Several sources say that Coleman fuel is "a petroleum naptha product historically known as white gas".

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I thought it was the stuff called panel wipe that you sometimes see recommended that could be all sorts of things. Several sources say that Coleman fuel is "a petroleum naptha product historically known as white gas".

Either way so long as it burns and doesn't cost a fortune I'm quite happy

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Get a later model, brass Primus stove in good working order.

It'll be as easy to operate as any of the remote tank component stoves that have been mentioned, easier than a few of them, probably cheaper than all of them and no more dangerous than any of them.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Get a later model, brass Primus stove in good working order.

It'll be as easy to operate as any of the remote tank component stoves that have been mentioned, easier than a few of them, probably cheaper than all of them and no more dangerous than any of them.

I have a few brass primus stoves because I quite enjoy repairing and restoring them, I only really wanted the remote tank style because I wouldn't mind it getting bashed and dinted. Love your canvas work btw I recently made a canvas filter bag and now realise how hard it is to do!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Is that in the dead tree version of the catalogue? Their website lists it at 199.99, but doesn't mention the silencer.

J

yup< at 199.99 its pricy primus call it the omnilight package or something. the full omnifuel msr wisperlight are powerful. so if only cooking for one they are a little overkill anyway to boil 500ml of water, or to simmer a chilli con carne. cotswold have the omni non new version at cut price when i went through there shop.
gotta say the fuel nossles in the legs thing is the most stupid idea i have ever seen, dirt to clog the threads and damagge the the stove , to loose them or to block them, with a perfectly good zip in the pouch.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
yup< at 199.99 its pricy primus call it the omnilight package or something.

Excellent. I wanted to get the silencer for the ti as well, and seeing as it's about 40 quid on it's own, then it's actually cheaper to get the 199.99 Omnilite ti package from Cotswold. Especially as they do 10% student discount...

the full omnifuel msr wisperlight are powerful. so if only cooking for one they are a little overkill anyway to boil 500ml of water, or to simmer a chilli con carne. cotswold have the omni non new version at cut price when i went through there shop.
gotta say the fuel nossles in the legs thing is the most stupid idea i have ever seen, dirt to clog the threads and damagge the the stove , to loose them or to block them, with a perfectly good zip in the pouch.

The jets on the legs has the potential to be a really good idea. Losing jets is going to be a pain, and having everything attached to the stove is a benefit. You just need to remember to clean the jets before you install them...

Because boil time is the metric that is universally abused to compare stoves, most stoves these days are overkill. But if you want to cook a real meal, or melt snow, then stoves like the Omnilite or the Whisperlite do appeal.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
yup< at 199.99 its pricy primus call it the omnilight package or something.

Went into the Canterbury Cotswold store. They didn't have it in stock, and the only info the staff could give me is that which is listed in their catalogue and website, which has no mention of the silencer. They've ordered it in for me to look at. I'll find out in a few days if the silencer is included.

J

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Whisperlite came today! Seems to work great thanks for the advice. Can't use it for a while properly as just had surgery but I can still mess about in the garden!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So this weekend I'm going camping a little out of my comfort zone by not going into my usual plot of woodland. So unfortunately I will probably be unable to have my usual open fire (or my earth oven) to cook on. So I'm looking into a new stove. I prefer using liquid fuel when I do have to use one so have an old brass primus, and I mean OLD as in 2 days older than grass, unfortunately I have to agree with SWMBO that it much like my hammer gun (although I still use it above any modern gun) , is antiquated, hard to use and dangerous. So it's being relegated to a decorative item.
I'm looking at a primus omnifuel or MSR dragonfly. Does anyone have any suggestions or reccomendation? Any common faults or limitations? Or do I stick with ol' leaky?

Mick, you must be doing something fundamentally wrong chap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF4116.jpg
    DSCF4116.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF4130.jpg
    DSCF4130.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 58

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Mick, you must be doing something fundamentally wrong chap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Quite the little collection you have there sir. Its more the missus worrying I have to contend with. She's seen me having to shake burning meths off myself a few too many times

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I would go the Optimus route as it runs on anything that burn. Well...
Have a Nova+ that have served me very good for 10+ years...still hate the flame adjustment on it....but it is a work horse. Would most likely aim for a Nova which is good value for the money...and the Polaris isf the missus would never find out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE