New stitching awl with handle, which way round?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Sorry for the dumb question I am ultra noob to leather work and tooling

Photo A

Or

Photo B

And once I know that, what's the best way to get the blade into the handle?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi
Photo A short end into handle and place long end against piece of wood when you push it in to avoid injury :)

Other way is to get two real copper pennies and use them to clamp the awl blade in your vice then just tap the handle down on to the awl.

That way you don't struggle to pull it out of a block of wood that you've pushed it into :)

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks gents, got it sussed and works a treat. The pennies idea is great, thanks. I have some soft jaws on my vice which gripped ok. Going to make myself a stitching pony next.

No matter how many books I read and pictures I look at, It aint until I get my hands on and do/try something that it makes so much sense the way people do things.

Really enjoying this leather craft. The hard thing is deciding which project to do first! new sheath for my trapper, small pouch for my skeletool, try some belt designs/ideas and styles.

Practice coaster from some scrap, purely to see how the needles fit and making holes, nothing to look at.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Well, I have been trying to get by with what I already have but there are some tools that are making things a lot easier. I have been trying to do this on a pretty tight budget.

There's a great thread on BB which helped me. I have also been going by the info on Le prevos website which is working too.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?112560-leather-working-tools-and-advice

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/sew.htm there's a basic kit list at the bottom.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114893

The things below the steel rules I already had

1/4 Faithful Number punches just for marking my stuff, they are engineers ones so don't go as deep as dedicated leather ones I think. Amazon.
beeswax really helps with the threading needle eyes. Le prevo
leather cement. le prevo
Gum tragacanth for edges. Identity store
No2 and No3 saddler needles, way better than everyday needles. Le prevo
Plastic burnisher (not used yet). Identity store.
wooden burnisher for dremel when I get round to fitting it, different profile. le prevo
proper 3mm hole punch for belt eyes. le prevo
skiver is actually a foot corn remover off ebay, crap though. ebay
safety /beveller skiver works better for me. spare blades. identity store
a decent edge beveller no 3 from japan. wanted a good one so ebay goodsjapan
clicker awl. le prevo
random awl far to blunt for piercing. ebay
2 inch diamond awl, this is ace and has made a huge difference. Le prevo
18/3 brown linen thread. Le prevo
No 3 thor rawhide mallet little bit light, might get a number 4 later on. amazon
A3 Dafa craft Matt, awesome. Ebay or amazon

had already:
steel rules
engineers hole punches
scapel
small folder
dining fork to get better hole positions for sewing. will get a pricking iron when I can figure out the best size. thanks to Rancid badger for that.
renapur had for years, using this to help the awl through.
pliers for stubborn needles
Multi hole punch
Two pieces of wood (in a vice) are the beginnings of a stich pony.
The wood is from an old broken (wasn't me) kitchen towel holder I found when routing around, the grooves look useful. I am also considering stealing the wooden rolling pin and seeing if that works too :)

On the way is a stitching groover the "pro" type or less crap one, adjustable with blade in the center. Found it for £20+4 postage. This will do until I do more research on a better one.

I am finding that getting the lines and grooves and holes in the right place is critical for decent stitching other wise it looks crap.

A few buckles, Chicago screws and cut straps from leprevo, off cuts of leather from ebay. le prevo specials are worth looking through.

going to find a local tannery/merchant to see about decent VFM leather half hides. Got a mate in the motor trade upholstery game that I will visit soon for info.

In that case I will get a decent strap cutter.

Want to get a dremel Pro edge burnisher from the states Richard Loy or another similar on ebay with the pointy end.

Was thinking of getting a Olfa rotary cutter 45mm or 60mm, but I might just sharpen an my old Mora clipper and give that a try.

That's it for now until I get into dyes and finishes. Made myself a basic belt and will be making one for my dad for crapmas, going to get him to work with me. Good stuff so far, worth every penny.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE