New start with bushcraft! but not what I expected

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 9, 2020
Wales
nordicwelshman.com
Hey all, my name is Keir and I am new to Bushcraft UK.

I am from Wales but have have been living in The Netherlands for the last 3.5 years. During my time in Amsterdam I found myself longing to be back in nature and the city life was starting to get to me. I found refuge in Youtube videos with camping and bushcraft skills. At the end of last year I was inspired enough to start gathering the essential kit and learning more to connect the dots in my Knowledge.

This year (2020) the plan was to move to Finland for a new work opportunity and live longterm and also practice bushcraft in the beautiful Finnish forests. Everything was sorted, all travel plans arranged, rental in Amsterdam contract was over and new one in Finland about to begin. Then the lockdowns started and we got caught in the crossfire with one foot in The Netherlands and one about the step toward Finland. 2 Days to go before departure and the Finnish border closed.

So with limited options, myself and partner returned back to Wales to wait for the border to open. Thankfully my family owns a little land and so I have the opportunity now to start testing my skills while I wait.

Since I have time on my hands, and I have to stay put, I decided to start my own channel to share my bushcraft learnings and the story of what will happen when we get to Finland (lots of wild camping).

I explain it in this video:

I have never been part of a community before. However, I feel a strong pull toward bushcraft and want to contribute my experiences and ideas. I hope to learn many amazing skills and techniques form all of you.

I hope you are all safe and well in these uncertain times.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Welcome to the forum!

If you wish to learn something you could have a look in our selection of recommended educational films:

Should you need some equipment you can have a look here:

Reactions: Nordic Welshman
May 9, 2020
Wales
nordicwelshman.com
Welcome to the forum!

If you wish to learn something you could have a look in our selection of recommended educational films:

Should you need some equipment you can have a look here:

Thank you for the helpful links Erbswurst :)

Reactions: Erbswurst
May 9, 2020
Wales
nordicwelshman.com
@Nordic Welshman Where in Finland did you plan to go or will go when it is possible?

Hi Herman30, I will go to work in Eura the first possible moment. I will work for a Finnish dried Herb company called yrttipaja, maybe your heard of them? I will help them to expand business out of Finland. I am still able to do much of that work from here but thing are much easier when done in person.

I hope Finland is treating you well :)

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
yrttipaja,
No, can´t say I heard about the company.

I live on the west coast about 300km north of Eura.

PS. Our ex-president Tarja Halonen wore once at the ball a dress that is a copy of dress archeologists found in Eura when doing excavations, this dress:

Presidentti+Halonen.jpg

The original dress is believed to be from the viking age.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nordic Welshman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE