New spoon junkie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
Hi,
Well I've decided to jump on the spoon bandwagon and here's the result of a couple hours whittling in the garden yesterday with my trusty clipper. Sorry for tthe poor pics but my camera is really bad.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I used some Hazel that I had knocking around, seems ok to work with. Very relaxing, can't wait to get some more wood to try another. I'm hooked!!!!

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Looks good. It is very relaxing and I can understand how you have got hooked!

I started only a little while ago on the spoon thing and people have started asking me to make stuff for them oooooh the pressure. :lmao: :lmao:

Well done again and enjoy

Pib

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks Pib,
I can't get the link to your pic to work but I did find the thread where you posted a birch spoon and It looks great, lovely grain. That really is some beautiful work. Now all I need is some birch and a few days locked in the shed.

ATB

Stinky

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Cheers for that.

ooooh Shed, I need one of those! I have found finding wood difficult as I've limited myself to fallen wood only. I'm not sure on the ethics of harvesting wood from living trees.

The other thing I've found hard is sharpening my knife after carving, but there is some good advice on here about sharpening methods and people like British Red are a mind of information.

Pib :D

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
stinkymilo said:
Cheers guys,

Just out of interest what woods are best for grain patterns as the hazel seems to be pretty plain?

Ash, and any fruit trees seem to be good for grain, also try oak!

however all of the fruit trees are a bit prone to cracking

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
does anyone have experience in using soft woods like pine, spruce or fir? the birch around here is small and the soft woods are more plentifull and larger.

thanks
dean

PS. we also have larch that gets fair sized.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I was practicing on a piece of seasoned pine I found in the shed and the grain was difficult might be how it was sawn but it can also be very knotty
Dave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE