New small one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cybertrix

Aug 24, 2003
Nottinghamshire
I have been working on a small utility knife with a tapered tang that I did using hand files. It was allot of work but easier than I thought, well worth the effort. I have an identical blank waiting to have the same treatment; I haven’t decided what wood to use for handles on that one yet.

Taper02.jpg

I just have to finish the handle and I will make a sheath for it. Here are the specs.

OAL 185mm or 7 1/4 inches, Blade length 82mm or 3 1/4 inches. Steel is EN9 3.8mm thick, with a hard satin finish followed by a light buffing in Homage to Jason Cutter. Tang tapers to 1.25 mm. The blade is flat ground. Handle is Mexican Bocote with Brick Red vulcanised fibre liners, brass pins with a Danish Oil finish.

Taper01.jpg

For some reason I love making small knives. I love this one and can't wait to see it with its partner.

Taper03.jpg

For Scale

Taper04.jpg

Hope you like it, Any and all comments welcome. :D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Nice knife mate - I particularly like the last photo though - the one where it is so sharp it is slicing through your finger with no mess! ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Love that tapered tang! I have that on a couple of mine and it really help the balance with a distal taper

May I suggest bog oak for the next one?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That is some awesome work! Not only some amazing work with files, but I love the size and style.That would make an excellent bird and trout knife as well as a whittler.:You_Rock_

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Thats cracking work buddy, great filing work getting the tang down, i remember doing stuff like that when i was on the tools, unfortunatly not on knives though lol.
Nice one and very skillfully done too its good to see someone using hand tools rather than a plethora of bench mounted nicknacks ;)

cybertrix

Aug 24, 2003
Nottinghamshire
Thanks for all the great comments. When i made it I was trying to get two small knives out of one piece of metal so it took some fancy hacksawing not to waste any.

Pair1.jpg

The two similar knives were cut from a piece of steel the same as the one in the photo. I cut lightening holes in the handle of the one I was tapering.

The knife is a bit thick for a bird and trout and I intended it as a mini version of a bushcraft type knife. The blade is 3.8mm thick and that makes for s sturdy blade even though I gave it a flat grind and not the scandi type grind that seems popular with bushcraft type knives. The second knife will have a scandi grind and a tapered tang but something different for handles. Unfortunately I don't have any bog oak and my budget is tied up waiting for some new leather, I do have some Cocobolo but the dust disagrees with me terribly. I also have some Rosewood of unknown origin and some Muhuhu, which I am itching to try. As soon as I get them both done and in sheaths I will post some more pics.

cybertrix

Aug 24, 2003
Nottinghamshire
Really nice knife,but one question, given the size and "delicate" nature of the knife why such heavy stock?

I take it by heavy stock you mean the thickness of the metal, in which case the EN9 pieces I got were just under 4mm so by the time I finished the knife they were 3.8mm. A thickness I consider reasonable for the type of knife and the work it would have to do if used for the purpose I intended. (Bushcraft, whittling etc) I don't consider the knife to be delicate. I made it a touch smaller than usual for a smaller hand. People with smaller hands have trouble with bulky handles so my last few knives have been aimed at women and small-handed or young men. The tapered tang IMO does not reduce the strength of the knife if used correctly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE