New sleeping bag

Nightingale

Jan 5, 2009
Denmark
Hi there,
I'm going to Switzerland this summer and looking for a sleeping bag which fits my needs.
I've searched this forum for knowledge and threads where others were in same boat as I am. Unfortunately it seems that the sleeping bags which are advised are a tad more extreme than I need.

For trips to Switzerland (summer) and Norwegian mountains (autumn), what sleeping bag will cover my needs?

I have been watching this bag, but I'm no expert and therefore I could use some advice.
http://www.wynnster.com/catalogue.asp?category=Sleeping Bags&sub=Summit Series - the summit sleeping bag.

What's your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

/NG

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Will you be carrying the sleeping bag for long distances in your pack?

If you're staying in one place, or using cars / canoes etc it widens your choice as a good synthetic bag will be cheaper (but heavier) than a down bag.

I have one of these... £25 and very comfortable, but 2kg (so you wouldn't want to carry it far!)

http://www.greenleafoutdoors.co.uk/Echo-350-Sleeping-Bag-DEAL-PRICE_AKM82.aspx

Probably a bit warm for the summer, but great for autumn in the hills.

For summer use I would open it up and use it as a quilt, which will allow you to cool down a bit.

Nightingale

Jan 5, 2009
Denmark
My trips are usually a week in the nature with backpack and I will carry all my stuff myself.

Shewie: I think it's a bit warm even for Norwegian mountains in autumn, don't you think?
I have a cocoon and planning to get a bivvy cover as well.

I think comfort around 0/-5C is fine.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My trips are usually a week in the nature with backpack and I will carry all my stuff myself.

Shewie: I think it's a bit warm even for Norwegian mountains in autumn, don't you think?
I have a cocoon and planning to get a bivvy cover as well.

I think comfort around 0/-5C is fine.

Look at the Alpkits then like Wink said. Not got one myself but never heard a bad word about them.

Nightingale

Jan 5, 2009
Denmark
Well, I think it is a bit expensive, isn't there a model "under" like a 350 or something?.
When the Mountain Equipment Lightline 450 has "a very water resistant shell" can I spare the bivvy cover or?

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
The drilite shell on the ME is water resistant to the extent that you can pour a cup of water on the bag exterior and it just runs off, but the seams are not taped and I don't know how long the water would continue to run off. The drilite is also around the inside of the hood area, so the down is not wet from your breath in the night.

I do not possess a bivvy bag, but I always have the tarp for rain protection, and something underneath to stop wet from the ground. Last time out my groudsheet (recycled from an old tent) started to leak, so I used bin bags for the rest of the trip. I stayed dry in torrential rain though, with the tarp. Less condensation than a bivvy.

I don't know how good the shell on the Alpkit is. They are a friendly bunch though, so you could ask them. They have a cheap deal on a lightweight down bag at the moment (£45 from memory), which might be warm enough with a silk liner and a bivvy bag, if you sleep warm/wear some clothes in bed. I know that some ultralight backpackers think that carrying a warm sleeping bag when you have a fleece or down jacket to wear in bed is crazy!

Nightingale

Jan 5, 2009
Denmark
I have woolen underwear and a linen bag, I thinking of getting a new "cheap" sleeping bag and a bivvy cover.
As written before I travel to Switzerland this summer and Norwegian mountains in autumn. I don't know what comfort temp. the sleeping bag require when I got woolen underwear and a linen bag, plus a backing underneath (dunno what it's named in English) and a bivvy cover.
I'm going to carry it around, but it is not a must that the sleeping bag is ultra light.

My budget is around 110 GBP for bivvy cover and sleeping bag - I don't have to spent them all if I don't have to :)

Nightingale

Jan 5, 2009
Denmark
Looks very good, but I reside in Denmark. I have to get someone i UK to buy it and then sent it to Denmark.

EDIT:
Hm, it weighs 5 kg? or is it the weigh of a package?

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I'd also recommend Alpkit, got an SH800 myself (wrote this review in the review section). They sell a bivvy bag as well, which has been reviewed here by Nagual.

Will you be climbing high mountains in Switzerland? Can be quite chilly up there, even in summer... Same for Norway, all depends on the height, how far up north you're going and how warm you sleep...
Woolen underwear is excellent, and the linen bag might add a few degrees (but not much in my experience).

Edit: since you're a Dane, you should take advantage of the cheap GBP ;)

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I'm not going to climb high mountains.

Whats the difference between the sleeping bags you recommend and the summit sleeping bag (http://www.wynnster.com/catalogue.asp?category=Sleeping Bags&sub=Summit Series) ?

Yours are like 3 og 4 times more expensive.

The summit sleeping bag (£24) is quite a bit heavier (1,9kg) and a lot less insulating: according to their website, the minimum comfort temperature would be about +7°C.
Compared to fe the cheapest Alpkit bag (SH400, now £45): max weight 1,136kg, comfort temperature +3°C. The pack size of the Alpkit is very likely a lot smaller as well.
So you would be paying for lighter weight combined with more warmth and a smaller size. (and you can get the SkyeHigh bags from Alpkit in 3 different sizes, which I personally need, being a bit taller than most...)

But plenty of other interesting brands out there as well, think about what you'll need to be comfortable at night and how much money that lighter/less bulky backpack is worth... (and be careful, some brands like to be very optimistic about their comfort ratings)

Maybe you could have a look at meteorological data (the minimum temperatures) for the exact location and time of the year you'll be out there? And if you would use average minimum temperatures, never a bad idea to add a couple of degrees to be safe.

Cheers and good luck,
Lasse

Nightingale

Jan 5, 2009
Denmark
Ah, I see.
I only need comfort temperature around 0C.
The only thing I'm worrying about is the fact that my sleeping bag get wet. Is it a myth that goose down bags are hard to dry?

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Ah, I see.
I only need comfort temperature around 0C.
The only thing I'm worrying about is the fact that my sleeping bag get wet. Is it a myth that goose down bags are hard to dry?

That is absolutely no myth, and is the number one disadvantage of down bags imo... When the down feathers get wet, they kind of stick together, and you'd have to dry them (carefully) and than try to redistribute the down again (could be done in a big laundry dryer with tennis balls I've heard).
If you get one, it's never a bad idea to put it in a waterproof bag in your backpack (I use a drybag) just to be sure. However I have been hiking with my down bag in my backpack without the dry bag up 'till now and have been just fine. You usually don't get the bag wet, it's just in case something goes terribly wrong...
As posted above, synthetic bags loose a lot less insulating power when wet compared to down bags (in the order of say 30% vs 80%, quite a difference). But many people have used down bags without any problems at all... (but I'd never give a young child a down bag)
It's also best to air out your sleeping bag every morning, if possible, this will help keep any odours at bay and will prevent the bag getting too damp (any bag you sleep in will always get a little damp during the night because of sweat etc)

Nightingale

Jan 5, 2009
Denmark
Thought so, but if I use a bivvy cover i guess I'll reduce the chance of getting my sleeping bag wet by a great deal.
Is there an alternative to the SH400 or maybe a "buy bag and cover setup"? - the price is fine.
I have used some military leftover bag before, but I don't know about the stats and quality - so I can't really compare. Anyway I have always been warm in it and I don't think it was downs.

EDIT: I'm going to Kandersteg in Switzerland (summer) and Lifjell in Norway (summer). Will the SH400 keep me warm enough when I'm also wearing woolen clothes and have linen bag?

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
0/-5c you say, I have a mountain equipment classic 500, it's a down bag, very light and the comfort range is between 20C and -5C with an extreme of -20C, I love it! Get them off ebay-far cheaper!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE