New Sheath available for RM knives....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
The Ray Mears site has removed the "What's New" fucntion but sadly i can spot if there's been any additions to each of the shop categories as i know the number of items in each :roll:

so i saw this just now:

Hand-stitched belt sheath for whetstone/firestick
Price: £59.95 (inc VAT)
No picture available
This hand-stitched belt sheath comes complete with an integral pocket to house your DC3 whetstone and firestick. It will fit both the Wilkinson Sword Woodlore Knives, maple and micarta handle.
Please note that this sheath will not fit the WK1 Woodlore Knife made by Alan Wood.

Should you wish to purchase this sheath for the Alan Wood Knife please call our office on +44 (0)1580 819668 for further details.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
For anyone interested in seeing this sheath...

I have an early prototype, I cannot be certain that the one now being sold is identical, however it will give people an idea of what it should look like.

woodlore_sheath_001.png

Instructions for setting up this kind of paracord arrangement may be viewed here.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
sandbender said:
For anyone interested in seeing this sheath...

I have an early prototype, I cannot be certain that the one now being sold is identical, however it will give people an idea of what it should look like.

Image has been posted to...

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewrush/Pictures/Misc/Sheath.jpg

Cool :biggthump Where did you manage to pick up a bit of prototype Woodlore Kit?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Tony said:
Cool :biggthump Where did you manage to pick up a bit of prototype Woodlore Kit?

Right place right time I guess, I was on a Woodlore course in June, a couple of the Fallkniven stones were produced and it was mentioned that Woodlore were planning on selling them, someone else asked "if there were plans to produce a sheath with a pocket for the small one", the answer was "yes, I think so" at which point I ordered one.

I think I may have speeded things along a bit by posting my Knife to the office so that the sheath could be built around it.

Six months later I find that the stone which slots into the sheath is used only occasionally, its a little too small for regular use, but it's always with the knife, unlike the larger stone which sits in my pack, which is handy I guess.

One tip I was given at the time...

To keep the stone stable when sharpening in the field always carry four small carpet tacks or nails, hammer them into a split log or similar to hold each corner of the stone.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
ESpy said:
Surely 3 tacks would be easier to level?

(sorry Shirley)

Sorry I'm writing too fast and not making myself clear...

The stone sits on the wooden surface of the log and the tacks are hammered in at the corners, locking it into position.

and don't call me shirley...

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ahh KISS in action.

Surely the idea of a small pocket stone is you use it in the hand - all you then need is a knife, a hand and a stone. After all your touching the blade up not carrying out full field maintainance or are you?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Sandbender - now I see where your coming from!! With the stone in the hand try using a circular motion like you would for your axe, this gives you more control and is safer. Remember to strop too, in fact in many cases just stropping a edge will refresh it without the need to use the stone.

Thanks for the warning! :biggthump Glad you like em.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, I'm not sure the price is all that far out of alignment. I've made a few sheaths and if someone had paid me that kind of money for one, I would have made around $3 per hour. :eek:): Given that it's handstitched, I reckon it takes a bit of time to get it right. Also, I'm sure I couldn't make one that nice.

What I don't get about the design is that, if you pass all that rope around and around, what does it look like on the backside? Seems like it would interfere with the belt loop on the back. Is there a pic of it from the back?

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Hoodoo said:
What I don't get about the design is that, if you pass all that rope around and around, what does it look like on the backside? Seems like it would interfere with the belt loop on the back. Is there a pic of it from the back?
Is it not designed to be worn underarm slung across the shoulder?

Martin

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hoodoo said:
...I don't get about the design is that, if you pass all that rope around and around, what does it look like on the backside? Seems like it would interfere with the belt loop on the back....

The slot you see next to the firestick is the beltloop, This is a kind of 'old world' type attachment method used in Europe in the middle ages and still used in Scandinavian countries today. I presume Ray picked up on this design while traveling in the frozen North...

The idea is that the knife sits behind the belt and is doubly secure because of this.

I bought my Woodlore knife quite a while back (so long ago in fact that there was no waiting list!) and I never really liked this method of carry.

However it was about a year later that I saw Ray on TV carrying the knife on a cord under his arm, this I'm led to believe is also a popular method of carry in the Scandinavia, and was once common in Scotland (sgian achlais). I have carried the knife in this fashion ever since (when in the wild) and find it works for me.

I will get around to subscribing soon so that I can post images, but in the meantime, here is a pic showing the sheath being carried under my arm.

woodlore_sheath_under_arm.png

Instructions for setting up this kind of paracord arrangement may be viewed here.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Expense...

Yes it is a bit pricey, however it is very well made and will last me a lifetime, The previous sheath had traveled for thousands of miles across Europe and Turkey through wind, rain and snow, it showed no signs of falling apart and now enjoys a new life having replaced the belt sheath a friend had bought with his WL knife.

I understand that all Woodlore leather-work is done by one very overworked woman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE