New purchass.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Picked this up this morning from the local boot market.
It seems that it will want a new haft as the original one has a few deep marks on it.
That will have to wait until I can find some wood but the cleaning up will be started tomorrow along with a good sharpening.
I have one almost identical that is a Gilpin but I don't think this one is stamped.

Hatchet.jpg

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
That doesn't look too bad at all to me. :)

Is the head firmly fixed? If it's OK I'd probably just give the haft a light sanding where necessary, it looks too good to throw away.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Head is not firmly fixed as there is no wedge in.
I'll have another look and see what a sanding does to it.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Could be Elwell, Brades or Gilpin to name but three makes - all equally good. Be careful if you sand it - some of the maker's stamps are fairly lightly applied.

The handle does look a touch dodgy where it goes into the eye - any doubt at all and I'd re-handle it.

Cheers

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well I have been at work in my garage with an axe and draw knife and have made a new haft.
Only trouble is the apple wood I used is not as well seasoned as I thought it would be so I have left plenty of wood on it so it can be finished in a few weeks. The reason for using apple wood is that is all I have at the moment, and it is only a small hatchet so it will not matter.
A picture will follow then it is fitted to the head.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I made another Haft for it today out of what looks to be beech wood (found it on my travels.)
Sanded and oiled, I think it looks OK, the balance is nice and it is very sharp.
Bushthings004.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE