"New Posts"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Just wondering how this feature works - I click on the 'New Posts' expecting it to list posts I haven't read, but sometimes it comes back with no results.

However, if I then go through to the individual areas of the forum, it soon becomes clear that there are posts which I've never read.

Slightly confusing....

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Dommy,

I used to get that, but found it was because it is looking for new posts "since" the last time you clicked on "New Posts", I now just click on the "Back Arrow" to carry on looking at the posts I haven't read...I think it is a quirk of this particular forum as another I visit you can read, post and then go back to forum index...

Anyone else know how to use it properly?

LS

leon-1

dommyracer said:
Just wondering how this feature works - I click on the 'New Posts' expecting it to list posts I haven't read, but sometimes it comes back with no results.

However, if I then go through to the individual areas of the forum, it soon becomes clear that there are posts which I've never read.

Slightly confusing....

Hi mate, new posts are dictated by time as much as anything, if I don't check the forum for a day or two I will find that there are about 200 hundred threads that have started, but the software only allows a certain amount of time from checking the new posts until it resets itself (I think it is something like 15 minutes). It uses a cookie from before to identify when it last checked and then checks from that time onwards.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
I get frustrated by the reset thingy too. It's handy to be able to click at the top to "View Unread" or whatever it is :rolleyes: but if lots of new stuff has been posted it goes after a while and you have to pick through them all.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I seeeee, so its not actually an accurate reflection of threads I have or have not read
Thats correct.... it just shows new posts since you last visit.... then resets after a time.

The only other optoin you have is to log out, then you have an option of reading all posts made today which doesnt reset.

I wonder if it could be implemented so that we get the option of reading todays posts without reset when we are signed in?

:D
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE