new phone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
looks like my mobile is about to dye so first of see if it can be repaired.

If not time for a new "free" one - due for upgrade soon anyway.

I'm after a new one that:
a) works well as a phone
b) easy web browsing. Just basic stuff for dipping into now and them but fast and easy to use
c) eay t osort email
d) works well as a phone, unlike iphones
e) takes at least 16gb micor SD card - not reliant on built in memory, unlike iphone
f) decent GPS- Ill be running it with MM or Mapyx as well as View Ranger.
g) half decent battery life.

At the momnet it is a toss up between HTC Desire and Motorola Defy.

HTC - everyone seems to like them and they are supposed to user friendly. Think with would be the favourite generally, but:

Motorola Defy - a "tough" phone. Thins would be hand given when & where i'll be using it. Dont think they are as user friendly as HTC but supposed to be pretty good and ok for web browsing.

Any opinionson either.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Depends on how much you want to spend on a monthly contract.

HTC's are very good and they come with some great apps. I believe (though could be wrong) that android is now the most popular operating system being sold (for "smart" phones). I had a HTC wildfire but the battery life wasn't good even when I was constantly managing it, if you don't mind charging every night that is what I would go for.

I changed to a Blackberry because of the battery issue but it has very few apps available which for the andriods system is its main selling point.

Touch screen phones are very battery intensive and it will be hard to get around that. If it is a problem there are devices such as the freeloader which is basically a solar polared recharging unit.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have a Motorolla Defy and find it absolutely great. Better signal than my old (samsung) phone, and to be fair, i find navigating around it fairly intuitive. Battery life ok, but you can buy extended batteries for a few quid that over double the battery capacity. I like the fact that it's waterproof and rugged. I try not to abuse my phone, but there are times when my past couple of phones which have also been tough phones have really earned their keep in the rain and mud. The Moto blur gizmo for adding all your email adresses ect to the phone is extremely quick and easy. The phone is compact, yet has a screen size of other phones with larger overall dimensions. Definitely pleased with it!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
HTC are very well made. Don't buy any 'Tough' phone, all they do is tell the public your a caggy handed fella who drops things.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I've got the HTC Desire HD (using it to type this post).

Good points? Large and clear screen. Lots apps. Good coverage on T-Mobile. Powerful enough to run ViewRanger and CoPilot at the same time. GPS is surprisingly accurate. Takes a 16GB memory card. Fairly tough (must be the number of times I've dropped it on the road or sat on it!).

Bad points? Battery needs regular top-ups (especially when running GPS). WiFi reception isn't the best. Screen can be difficult to view in strong sunlight.

As for being rugged, when in the hill I keep mine in a cheap gel case inside a Proporta Beach Boy waterproof pouch. It is either hung around my kneck under my t-shirt or thrown in the lid pocket of my rucksack. So far I haven't had any problems, even when on the top of the Black Mountain in the middle of a winter rainstorm. The Beach Boy costs around £13 from Amazon and you don't have to take the phone out to use the touchscreen, use GPS or even take a photo or make a call.

All in all (until a really cheap hardened phone comes long) I think it'll serve me well.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
but I am cack handed...

The Defy isn't really a togh phone like the Sonims - just a normal one with scratch proof(ish) screen and dropable. Sort of like the splash proof drop proof digi cameras

Ed, Ed, Ed...I don't know what to say mate, looks like your in a mid life crisis or something; you'll be on the hunt for bushcraft shaving lotion next, very sad state to be in. You need to snap out of this, your on the slippery slope to Quorn burgers.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
defo mid life crisis here. But I seem to be doing ti wrong. Sold the Discovery and bought a Yaris then eventually got a proper hiar cut after 24 of long hiar.

Reason I fancy the Defy is that it having GPS & Os mapping is hand for some ofthe stuff I do - both at work and play /MRT. As for splash proof, well I've had to mess about drying out every phone adn camera I've owned.

As for Bushcraft saving lotion - don't normally use it at home so not in the field. One advantage of oilly skin. Plus if i'm wild campnig I'm on holiday so why would I be washing let alone shaving.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
defo mid life crisis here. But I seem to be doing ti wrong. Sold the Discovery and bought a Yaris then eventually got a proper hiar cut after 24 of long hiar.

Reason I fancy the Defy is that it having GPS & Os mapping is hand for some ofthe stuff I do - both at work and play /MRT. As for splash proof, well I've had to mess about drying out every phone adn camera I've owned.

As for Bushcraft saving lotion - don't normally use it at home so not in the field. One advantage of oilly skin. Plus if i'm wild campnig I'm on holiday so why would I be washing let alone shaving.

Good man, there is hope for you yet Ed :)

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I have a Nokia N8 which I use in a rubber case (which was purchased from ebay seperately). It has great battery life, loads of good bushy type apps, an app called 'sportstracker' which you can use whilst running, takes a micro SD card, is easy to use for internet access and being a Nokia is a well built phone.

May be what you are looking for, it certainly suits me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE