New (Old!) Singer "Patcher" 29k53

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
Now that's a beauty. It's so nice to see that in today's disposable consumer culture that quality tools are still being used.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Wow she's a real beaut!! It looks like an unusual design too, how does it differ from the standard machines? I bought an old 1955 standard sewing machine at auction two days ago, got it out the box and worked perfectly, testament to the build quality! Hope you enjoy using yours. :)

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
It has a long and thin sewing neck as opposed to a flatbed standard machine suited to sewing inside boots. It is also a walking foot type and has a rotating head so you can sew 360˚ without removing the material which is amazing and consider this model came out about 1880 is amazing.
The same method is used I think on modern machines. She is a solid and wonderful piece of Victorian technology, built in Scotland when we had large-scale and quality manufacturing. I love her!
I am currently giving her a service when I get chance but I will post the output from her in due course.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That is so awesome, even more incredible considering the age of the design and build, they all seem so well made too! :)

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
My other machine is a 1950's industrial Singer that will sew at amazing rate through up to 6 layers of 14oz canvas.
The Patcher is hand & treadle operated so means you sew very slow (fast compare to saddle stitching by hand) and so the control is much better.
I have sewn 15mm of vegtan leather with it and it went through it like a knife through butter. Amazing!

cracking machine :)

Hiya Craeg :) i still use that fly wallet you made me :)

Robbi

So glad it is still serving you well mate. I will be doing a run of journals soon with handmade pages too, watch the maker's market if you're interested (oh when I pay for my membership :D)

just mised 3 old hand cranked singers at the weekend/ 35 pounds each, looked and worked as new

Keep yer eyes open for one Joe as they are a joy to own.

ATB
Craeg

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
Dare I ask how much somesthing like that will cost?

If you can find one from a dealer they go anything from £400-£600, eBay anything from £200-£500 but there is one at the minute going for £120 on a buy-it-now here: http://tinyurl.com/ol2anw8

There is no treadle with it but it can easily be hand cranked with the wheel or a sewing machine motor can be added with foot switch.

ATB
Craeg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I was tempted but don't need one, just want one, it does look cool though, the wife would have found a spare body part of mine to test it out on if I had have bought it

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Snap - I have a 29k53 also.

As good as they are at sewing leather you have to remember that they lock stitch same as any other sewing machine and if you cut one loop it will unravel just the same as on clothing.

That's why I still hand saddle stitch my leather work. Saddle stitch doesn't unravel ;)

Still good work horse's

Richard

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
I agree but this machine is for the goods I make for a boutique in London. I can't hand stitch fast enough to supply them with handbags, tote, messenger bags, etc. I will still make the 'heavy' goods like belts, sheaths, axe masks, etc with hand sewn saddle stitching. Oh and I also punch stitch holes with an awl as this was how I was taught by a 60 year old saddler. I don't like dremel drilled stitch holes. Takes a lot longer though.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Oh and I also punch stitch holes with an awl as this was how I was taught by a 60 year old saddler. I don't like dremel drilled stitch holes. Takes a lot longer though.

I was shown a trick by a guy who makes heavy horse harness and saddlery, he uses a drill type press with an awl blade in to make holes for stitching. Suppose you can't beat a bit of mechanical advantage on thick leather;)

Mind if you saw his workshop.................He had machines and tools to do things we can only dream of.

Richard

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I had thought about putting an awl blade in my arbor press too as I don't like using the pillar drill on leather which just seems wrong

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE